Summer is here in full swing and we are ready to beat the heat! Make entertaining easy and serve one (or more) of these 5 Refreshing Summer Vodka Cocktails at your next party, barbecue or happy hour.
Summer is always great for spontaneous happy hours and cocktails by the fire. Or at the lake. Or on the deck....pretty much any way we can be outside here in Minnesota!
Don't fret about what to serve with this collection of summer libations we love. You will be ready for whatever comes your way if you have the ingredients for the 5 best vodka drinks on hand.
Why drinks are easier to serve to a group than wine
Whenever we are having people over I immediately panic: Do I have enough wine? Is it chilled? Do I have enough of the same kind?
The easiest way to solve these problems? Serve cocktails for summer entertaining.
Not only is it easier to serve cocktails than wine, but it’s also more economical! You can get a lot of individual drinks out of a liter of alcohol versus the 4- 5 glasses of wine out of the bottle.
So keep things simple and grab that bottle of vodka from the freezer and toast the summer!
- Fresh lime juice
- Fresh lemon juice
- Tonic water
- Club soda
- Simple syrup
- Fresh mint
Is there a difference between brands of tonic and club soda?
Believe it or not, the kind of club soda or tonic you mix in your cocktails makes a difference. A huge difference.
The best ingredients give you the best tasting drinks and this applies to tonic and club soda too.
Our go-to favorites are Fever Tree and Q Tonic. They both have several different varieties of mixers and we love them all.
Try them out and we bet you’ll never buy the big plastic bottle again.
Tips for making the best batch cocktails
- Keep your ingredients chilled. Drinks stay colder longer when you start with cold ingredients!
- Use lots of ice. No one likes a lukewarm drink.
- Make sure to stir well. There is nothing worse than taking a sip of your cocktail only to find a big float of vodka in your glass.
- Fresh juice is always best. That little bit of prep makes these vodka cocktails extra special.
- Don't forget the garnish. It may seem extraneous, but the fresh herbs, lemon or lime wedges, cucumber rounds or strawberries add a flavor boost. Check out your local farmer's market to get the freshest produce at a reasonable price!
Why do I keep my vodka in the freezer?
That’s easy - it makes the drinks colder! When you start with chilled ingredients the ice doesn’t have to work so hard which keeps it cold longer without diluting it.
That’s what we call a win, folks.
Best Vodka for Drinks
Make sure you use a high-quality vodka of your favorite brand, not the cheapest stuff at the liquor store.
Not only do high-quality vodkas taste a lot smoother, but they are also less likely to lead to a hangover if you overindulge. Trust me on this one.
So be sure to save your pennies to buy better vodka. Some of our favorites are Tito’s, Norseman, Ketel one, and Stoli - all solid brands that will never steer you wrong.
What’s your current favorite? Let us know. We are always game to try new spirits!
More summer cocktails
- Watermelon Gin Punch
- Elderflower Gin and Tonic
- Raspberry Smash
- Bubbly Strawberry Rosé Mojitos
- Tequila Mojito
- Aperol Gin Cocktail
- Sparkling Cucumber Gimlet
Want to mix it and forget it? We love these summer sangria recipes!
Y.U.M. I love summertime cocktails! Thanks for the raspberry smash love. Happy Summer!