Eat your greens (and enjoy them, too) with this flavorful Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad recipe with Citrus Vinaigrette!
Brussels sprouts can get a bad reputation.
If you’ve had bad brussels sprouts in the past, you’re less likely to give them another try. But this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with a zesty Citrus Vinaigrette is so flavorful, you might just forget your previous brussels sprouts experiences entirely.
The tangy citrus vinaigrette mellows the slightly bitter flavor of the sprouts in this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad recipe.
Throw in some creamy avocado, crunchy pistachios, sweet dried cranberries and a bit of salty grated Pecorino cheese, and you have one tasty dish that could easily double as a side on burger night as well as be the lead-off hitter at your Thanksgiving Day feast.
Can I make this brussels sprouts salad in advance?
Yes and no. (How’s that for an answer?)
The hearty texture of the sprouts can stand up to the acid in the vinaigrette, so feel free to toss those together an hour or two before you serve the salad.
But I wouldn’t add the avocado or other mix-ins until right before you serve the salad or you’ll run the risk of brown avocado (even with the citrus vinaigrette).
If you have a mandoline, by all means go ahead and slice these baby cabbages by yourself. I value my fingertips far too much to do this.
My shortcut suggestion? Buy the preshredded brussels sprouts at the grocery store and get this brussels sprouts salad recipe on the table in less than half the time of shaving the sprouts yourself.
Not a craisin fan? Or maybe your don’t have any on hand? Tart dried cherries would be a tasty substitute for the craisins in this sprouts salad.
Note: You’ll have leftover citrus vinaigrette when you make this recipe. The extra vinaigrette will keep in the fridge for about two weeks so feel free to make another round of Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad or simply dress your next leafy greens salad with some of the leftovers. The bright citrus flavors are welcome any time of year - as is this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad recipe.
- Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts with Maple Syrup - Garnish with Lemon®
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Reduction - Garnish with Lemon®
- Instant Pot Bacon Brussels Sprouts Recipe - Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- Brussels Sprouts Roasted with Garlic Butter - Will Cook for Smiles
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 ½ teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- Pepper to taste
- 1 12-ounce package shaved brussels sprouts
- 1 large avocado diced
- ½ cup craisins
- ⅓ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino cheese
For the Vinaigrette:
- Combine juices, shallots, mustard, honey and salt in a small bowl. Slowly pour in olive oil and whisk until dressing is emulsified. Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
For the Salad:
- Place brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Start by pouring half of dressing on sprouts and toss to coat. Add avocado, craisins, pistachios and cheese to sprouts. Gently toss. Add additional dressing, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.