This crunchy and colorful Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad recipe tastes best when made ahead of time, a wonderful, time-saving side dish for weeknight dinners or special holiday meals. Generously dressed with a tangy citrus vinaigrette, it's the perfect combination of sweet and savory in every bite.
Not a brussels sprouts fan? This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad will change your mind.
A bright citrus vinaigrette softens the bite and mellows the flavor of the hearty shredded sprouts. Toss it together with crunchy pistachios, creamy avocado, tart dried cranberries and salty feta cheese, and you have a salad that even brussels sprouts skeptics eagerly devour.
Why you'll love this recipe
➤ It's a make ahead salad. Brussels sprouts won't wilt or get soggy when dressed hours in advance like most leafy green salads. Plus the extended time in the vinaigrette mellows the sprouts' strong flavor (much like kale) and ties all the ingredients together.
➤ It uses simple ingredients that are easy to find at any grocery store.
➤ This versatile recipe is fancy enough for company but quick enough for a weeknight meal.
One trip to the store is all you need to get all the ingredients needed for this salad.
A few ingredient notes:
Brussels Sprouts: You can buy whole raw sprouts and shred them yourself (see tips below) or you can buy a bag of sprouts already shredded at many stores.
Maple syrup: Save the imitation pancake syrups for breakfast and use 100% real maple syrup for best flavor. Honey can also be used if you don't have pure maple syrup.
Olive oil: My go-to oil for homemade vinaigrettes is extra virgin olive oil, but feel free to use a different neutral tasting oil (such as vegetable or avocado oil) if you prefer.
Make the citrus vinaigrette up to 3 days ahead of time and store it in the fridge.
Add juices, shallot, mustard, syrup and olive oil to a bowl.
Whisk together until dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the salad up to 12 hours ahead of time.
Add shredded sprouts, craisins, pistachios and feta cheese to a bowl. Pour ¾ of vinaigrette over salad, reserving remainder for later. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
Right before serving, add avocado and remaining vinaigrette and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
It can be hard to imagine eating raw brussels sprouts since they have a strong and sometimes bitter taste. Even though you'd never add raw sprouts to a veggie tray, they work beautifully in this salad. The sliced sprouts mellow in both flavor and texture after being tossed with the orange and lemon vinaigrette for a balanced bite with just the right amount of crunch.
The easiest way to get shaved sprouts is to buy a bag of pre-shredded sprouts from the grocery store. You can also buy whole sprouts, trim the bottoms and either use a chef's knife, a mandoline or a food processor to thinly slice them.
Shaved sprouts should last for about a week if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Toss them if they start to turn brown or soft.
Expert tips for making Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
✔︎ Make the vinaigrette up to three days ahead of time and store covered in the fridge.
✔︎ For best flavor and texture, make the salad at least 8 and up to 12 hours ahead of time (without the avocado). The sprouts are hearty enough to retain some of their crunch but will mellow the longer they sit. Toss in the avocado just before serving to prevent it from browning.
✔︎ This recipe is flexible. Substitute dried cherries for craisins or pine nuts in place of pistachios. Or use goat cheese or even grated Parmesan cheese instead of feta.
✔︎ Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. The avocado will brown but it will still taste great!
More easy side dishes
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Your feedback helps us and your fellow readers!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 ½ teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces shaved brussels sprouts
- ½ cup craisins
- ½ cup roasted pistachios
- ⅔ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large avocado, diced
For the Vinaigrette:
- Combine juices, shallots, mustard, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Slowly pour in olive oil and whisk until dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice, 1 tablespoon minced shallot, 1 ½ teaspoons dijon mustard, 1 ½ teaspoons maple syrup, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, Salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- Place brussels sprouts, craisins, pistachios and feta cheese in a large bowl. Pour ¾ of vinaigrette over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.12 ounces shaved brussels sprouts, ½ cup craisins, ½ cup roasted pistachios, ⅔ cup crumbled feta cheese
- When ready to serve, pour in remaining vinaigrette and add avocado. Toss to combine.1 large avocado,
- Make the vinaigrette up to 3 days in advance. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the salad at least 8 and up to 12 hours before serving. Add the avocado just before you're ready to eat to prevent it from browning.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.