There's nothing that warms the soul like comfort food. This Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup is made in your crock pot and takes the stress out of dinner.
Soups warms the soul, right? At least that's what I'm banking on today - Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup to warm my soul...and every other part, too.
The temps here in Minnesota are freezing. Seriously, why do those temps even exist??? But we need to suck it up and make the best of it because there is absolutely nothing you can do to change the weather (except move, which has been brought up more than once by Kevin this weekend).
So what do we do? Make soup. Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup, to be exact. And I do it in the Crock Pot. I'm crabby enough with the weather; I want dinner to be a no-brainer. Sauté, dump, cook. My kind of meal, especially on a cold day.
I use evaporated milk in the slow cooker version of this soup because it doesn't break down like milk can when cooked for extended times. But if you prefer to do this on the stovetop, just stir in a cup of cream and heat through before you serve. I puréed this with my immersion blender with the exception of a few chunks of broccoli.
I'm hoping our cold snap came early this year, and it's smooth sailing from here on out. I can’t take these drastic cold temps much longer.
But lucky for us, we have this Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup. Cheese is kind of like bacon; it makes everything better. Even the weather.
Slow Cookers make dinner prep easy!
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham -Garnish with Lemon®
- Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup - Foodie Crush
- Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup -Garnish with Lemon®
- Slow Cooker Green Enchilada Soup - Rachel Cooks
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup - Garnish with Lemon®
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 large onion chopped (1 cup)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 carton 32 oz chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1 bag 14 oz frozen baby broccoli florets, thawed
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese if desired
- Spray 4-quart Crock Pot with cooking spray.
- In medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in evaporated milk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into Crock Pot. Stir in broth, broccoli, pepper and salt. Cover; cook on low heat setting for 4 hours or until bubbly.
- Puree with immersion blender (or in batches in a regular blender) to desired smoothness. Pour back in Crock Pot. Add cheese and stir until melted. Serve immediately.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.