Salads don't have to be boring. The simple addition of sliced apples, crumbled cheese, and candied walnuts make this Apple, Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad our go-to favorite!
Salads are often an overlooked part of the menu. This Apple, Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad recipe has long been one of my favorite salads. One bite and you will understand why this salad makes so many appearances at gatherings any time of year.
Blue Cheese and tart apples are always an excellent combination, especially with apple cider vinaigrette and candied walnuts. You get just the right amount of tart, tang, and crunch in every bite.
This salad is pretty much a blank canvas just waiting for you to add your own personal touch to it. I often swap the blue cheese for feta, especially when I'm feeding a group.
1) I always have feta in my fridge, and
2) not everyone is a fan of a strong blue cheese. It seems people have a love-hate relationship with it so if I don't know my guests' palettes well, I'll go with the milder flavor.
Don't have apples on hand? Throw in some dried cherries or craisins.
And it's equally great with pistachios or toasted pecans on top.
Basically, the sky is the limit.
Why this recipe works
That's easy, the dressing! The tangy apple cider vinaigrette ties all the flavors together perfectly. And the best part? The recipe makes a lot of dressing so you know you will have extra to eat all week long.
And however you serve it, your guests will devour this Apple, Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad making it a flavorful addition to any entertaining menu! One bite and it will be your favorite, too!
More Salad Recipes
- Antipasto Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette - Garnish with Lemon®
- Avocado Quinoa Salad - Chelsea's Messy Apron
- Arugula Goat Cheese Corn Salad - Garnish with Lemon®
- Lemon Orzo Salad with Asparagus and Spinach - Two Peas & Their Pod
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette - Garnish with Lemon®
Apple, Blue Cheese and Candied Walnut Salad
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 apple sliced
- 1 ½ cups toasted walnuts
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- 6 cups of Mixed Greens cleaned and dried
- Combine sugar, salt, mustard and vinegars. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in onion and Worcestershire. Add oil slowly, whisking continuously until mixture is emulsified.
- Toss together apple slices, walnuts, blue cheese and mixed greens and desired amount of vinaigrette.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.
Wow your guests from the beginning when you start your meal with this Apple, Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad. The apple cider dressing is to die for!