There is nothing better than a really good margarita. When you shake up this Classic Margarita for your next happy hour, you can be sure that everyone will want the recipe.
Tacos and Tequila are made for each other and nothing gives Taco Tuesday a better upgrade than this Classic Margarita recipe.
These cocktails are so easy to make at home you don't need to save them for special occasions!
This recipe only uses 3 key ingredients. It goes without saying that it is essential to use the highest quality possible.
- Tequila - We use silver tequila for this drink. Smooth tequila makes such a big difference.
- Lime juice - You absolutely must use fresh lime juice. The bottled juice is too bitter and you can easily tell the difference so don’t even try and sub it in. Not even maybe. Fresh lime juice is a snap to get when you use this reamer. It’s a workhorse in my kitchen.
- Orange Liquor - We use either Cointreau or Triple Sec in our classic margs. We also love the orange forward flavor you get with Drillaud Triple Sec. Their line of liqueurs is always a solid choice.
Pro tip: Drillaud's elderflower liqueur is also one of our go-to liqueurs.
Not familiar with elderflower? Check out our complete guide to elderflower liqueur and learn all about it!
Note: A good shaker is key to making a good margarita.
- Rim glass with salt. Add ice to glass and set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add margarita ingredients to shaker and shake. Margaritas are best ice cold. So shake, shake and then shake some more.
- Strain into salt-rimmed glass. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy immediately.
A golden margarita is most often made with gold tequila, but the biggest difference is a golden margarita uses Grand Marnier and simple syrup instead of Cointreau or triple sec.
We prefer our margs on the rocks but you absolutely can make this frozen. Just add the ingredients and a cup of ice to a blender and blend until ice is crushed. Serve in a salted glass and garnish with a lime.
In a large pitcher, add 3 cups of tequila, 2 cups of triple sec and one cup of lime juice. Stir and serve over ice in salted glasses.
1. Pour salt on a small plate.
2. Rim edge of glass with lime wedge.
3. Invert glass on salt filled plate and twist to get salt to stick
4. Set aside until ready to serve.
It's easy to come up with food that compliments a margarita. Check out some of our favorite Tex Mex treats.
- Why pick between pico and guac when you can have them both with this easy Pico Guacamole.
- Get a double dose of tequila with these lip smacking Tequila Lime Chicken Fajitas.
- This Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa is so authentic, you don't get to get take out to enjoy your favorite restaurant salsa at home.
- What is happy hour without chips and salsa? This homemade salsa is one of our favorites.
More Margarita Recipes
It's no secret that we love a good margarita. We have 10 different margarita recipes on our site. Here are a few of our faves.
- Blueberry Margaritas- Don't be fooled by the pretty color, these gorgeous margs are one of our favorite summer sippers.
- Blood Orange Margaritas for a crowd- Hosting a group? These Blood Orange Margs are perfect for your next football party.
- Elderflower Margaritas- We took our favorite liqueur and made this easy 3 ingredient cocktail.
- Looking for a little spice? These Spicy Grapefruit Margaritas are the perfect way to bring summer to a cold day.
- These Fresh Strawberry Margaritas are a fun spin on a classic.
Classic Margarita Recipe
- 3 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces orange liqueur
- 1 ½ ounces fresh lime juice
- lime wedges for garnish
- kosher salt
- Salt rim of the glass, fill with ice and set aside.
- Fill a shaker with ice. Add tequila, orange liqueur and fresh lime juice to shaker. Shake for 20-30 seconds.
- Strain contents of shaker into prepared glass and garnish with a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
How to salt the rims of the glasses:Pour kosher salt on a small plate. Run a lime wedge around the rim of each glass and invert glass onto plate so the salt sticks to the juiced rim.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.
Your search for the perfect marg is over! This Classic Margarita Recipe uses 3 ingredients and is a timeless cocktail that every home bartender should know how to make!