There is nothing better than a really good margarita. When you shake up this Classic Margarita for your next happy hour, you can be sure that everyone will want the recipe. You can have margs at the ready in less than 15 minutes! They are so good, you'll never buy a bottled mix again!
Tacos and Tequila are made for each other and nothing gives Taco Tuesday a better upgrade than this Classic Margarita recipe.
These cocktails are so easy to make at home you don't need to save them for special occasions!
This recipe only uses 3 key ingredients. It goes without saying that it is essential to use the highest quality possible.
- Tequila - We use silver tequila for this drink. Smooth tequila makes such a big difference. and make sure it is 100% agave.
- Lime juice - You absolutely must use fresh lime juice. The bottled juice is too bitter and you can easily tell the difference so don’t even try and sub it in. Not even maybe. Fresh lime juice is a snap to get when you use this reamer. It’s a workhorse in my kitchen.
- Orange Liqueur - We use either Cointreau or Triple Sec in our classic margs. We also love the orange forward flavor you get with Drillaud Triple Sec. Their line of liqueurs is always a solid choice.
Pro tip: Drillaud's elderflower liqueur is also one of our go-to liqueurs. Not familiar with elderflower? Check out our complete guide to elderflower liqueur and learn all about it!
Rim glass with salt. Add ice to glass and set aside.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add margarita ingredients to shaker and shake. Margaritas are best ice cold. So shake, shake and then shake some more.
Strain into salt-rimmed glass. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy immediately.
The biggest difference is a golden margarita uses gold tequila, Grand Marnier and simple syrup while a classic margarita uses silver tequila and Cointreau or triple sec.
We prefer our margs on the rocks but you absolutely can make them frozen. Just add the ingredients and a cup of ice to a blender and blend until ice is crushed. Serve in a salted glass and garnish with a lime.
In a large pitcher, add 3 cups of tequila, 2 cups of triple sec or orange liqueur and one cup of lime juice. Stir and serve over ice in salted glasses.
It's easy to come up with food that compliments a margarita. Check out some of our favorite Tex Mex treats.
- Why pick between pico and guac when you can have them both with this easy Pico Guacamole.
- Get a double dose of tequila with these lip smacking Tequila Lime Chicken Fajitas.
- This Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa is so authentic, you don't get to get take out to enjoy your favorite restaurant salsa at home.
- What is happy hour without chips and salsa? This homemade salsa is one of our favorites.
More Margarita Recipes
It's no secret that we love a good margarita. We have 10 different margarita recipes on our site. Here are a few of our faves.
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Your feedback helps us and your fellow readers!
Classic Margarita Recipe
- 3 ounces silver tequila
- 2 ounces orange liqueur
- 1 ½ ounces fresh lime juice
- lime wedges for garnish
- kosher salt
- Salt rim of the glass, fill with ice and set aside.
- Fill a shaker with ice. Add tequila, orange liqueur and fresh lime juice to shaker. Shake for 20-30 seconds.
- Strain contents of shaker into prepared glass and garnish with a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
- Be sure that your tequila is 100% agave.
- You can use Cointreau or triple sec for the orange liqueur
- Use fresh lime juice for a smoother drink, it makes a world of difference!
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.