Need some side dish inspiration? This Roasted Delicata Squash recipe has only 5 ingredients and comes together in minutes. A quick roast in the oven caramelizes the squash for a little bit of sweet and savory in every bite. Bonus: no peeling required!
This Rosemary Roasted Delicata Squash recipe is one of our go-to fall side dishes. It takes just a few minutes to prep and pull together because there is no peeling involved. But the best part - the caramelization of the squash’s sugars - happens all by itself in the oven.
Why this recipe works
- In my opinion, Delicata is the easiest squash to cook with. It's thin skin is not only edible, it's also a snap to slice.
- Delicata squash also comes in smaller sizes so you can just as easily make squash for one as you can for eight.
- Roasting it gives you edges are that crispy and caramelized, insides that are velvety and tender and a savory bite from the rosemary, salt and pepper. Plus no peeling required!
This five-ingredient side dish uses items that are readily available at the grocery store:
Never made delicata squash before? You don’t need to be mad kitchen skills to make stand-out squash at home.
Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds. Cut into crescent moons. Chop fresh rosemary.
Toss squash and rosemary in a bowl with oil, salt & pepper. Roast in a preheated oven until perfectly caramelized.
Tip: Pop your baking sheet in the oven while it preheats. Placing the sliced squash on a sizzling hot pan helps it roast faster and more evenly.
It’s definitely on the sweeter side as far as squashes go. Think of it like a flavor mash up between a butternut squash and a sweet potato with a rich, creamy texture.
Yes, you can! The name “delicata” came from the delicate rind of the squash. It’s easy to slice through when raw and is completely edible when cooked.
This recipe is best straight from the oven. If you try to reheat it, the flavor is still great but you lose those delicious crispy edges (my favorite part!).
If you do have leftovers, feel free to chop them up and toss them in salad with some cooked farro, fresh greens, shaved parmesan, toasted walnuts and a tasty maple vinaigrette.
This recipe for rosemary roasted delicata squash is a great place to start but feel free to shake it up with some of these substitutions:
- Mix up the herbs. Swap out the rosemary for thyme or your favorite herb.
- Turn up the heat. Forgo the herbs entirely and sprinkle on a healthy amount of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Roast with other veggies like carrots, onions or sweet potatoes for a medley of flavors.
? Craving more? Check out our list of 7 easy roasted vegetable recipes plus tips for no-fail oven baked veggies. ?
More roasted vegetable recipes
- These little bites of Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Onions are a huge hit in our family. Super easy side dish for weeknight meals.
- Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and perfectly salted. Need we say more about this Smashed Potatoes Recipe?
- This Roasted Carrots recipe is a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy thanks to a tasty combo of maple syrup and crushed red pepper.
- Everyone loves this easy Oven Roasted Broccoli recipe. With only 5 ingredients, it's the BEST way to eat broccoli!
- Bacon makes everything better, and this recipe for Roasted Green Beans with Bacon is tasty proof!
- You’ll be amazed at how versatile these Oven Roasted Tomatoes are - use them in appetizers, pasta or snack on them straight from the oven. Plus they freeze beautifully!
- A decadent drizzle of balsamic reduction elevates these Roasted Brussels Sprouts from great to exceptional.
- Parmesan cheese, onions and thyme add a major flavor boost to this Roasted Cauliflower recipe.
Check out all of our side dish recipes in our archives!
Rosemary Roasted Delicata Squash
- 1 large Delicata squash halved, seeded and sliced into ½" crescent moons
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Place large baking sheet in oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Gently toss squash, oil, rosemary, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Place squash pieces on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 8-10 minutes or to desired degree of doneness.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.
Shake up your dinner menu with this easy Roasted Delicata Squash recipe. Made with just 5 ingredients, it’s the perfect fall side dish for any meal, including Thanksgiving. (Bonus: no peeling required!)