Fall side dishes don’t get much easier than this sweet and savory Rosemary Roasted Delicata Squash.
Squash gets a bad reputation sometimes. Not because of taste (it’s SOOO yummy!) but rather for preparation. Cutting through that thick skin and into the hard squash can almost be a life or death experience. (If any of you have every “slipped” with the knife while cutting squash, you know exactly what I mean.) It’s a shame, really, because squash is so versatile, and this Rosemary Roasted Delicata Squash is actually one of the easiest side dishes I’ve made in a while.
Yes, I did say “squash” and “easy” in the same sentence. Why? Because of the type of squash I used in this recipe. The skin of Delicata Squash is so thin that you can easily slice it with a knife. In fact, you can even eat the skin after it’s roasted, if you really want to. (Full disclosure: we cut the skin off ours, but that’s a matter of personal preference.)
Toss the sliced squash in a little olive oil, season with salt, pepper and fresh rosemary, and you have a savory fall side dish that takes only minutes to prep and just a few moments longer to bake. Plus Delicata Squash are smaller, averaging between a pound to a pound and a half in weight, which is perfect for a family of four or those who don’t enjoy leftovers. Entertaining a large group? Grab a few extra squash.
Hellooooo Thanksgiving dinner…
- 1 Delicata squash, halved, seeded and sliced into 1/2" half moons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Place baking sheet in oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Gently toss together squash, oil, rosemary, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Place squash pieces on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 6-8 minutes or to desired degree of doneness.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g