Need some side dish inspiration? This Roasted Delicata Squash recipe has only 5 ingredients and comes together in minutes. A quick roast in the oven caramelizes the squash for a little bit of sweet and savory in every bite. Bonus: no peeling required!
Delicata squash could be the MVP of the squash world.
But delicata is by far the easiest squash to cook with. Not only does it have a thin skin that is easy to slice (and is also edible!) but it comes in smaller sizes so you can conveniently make as little or as much as you need.
This Rosemary Roasted Delicata Squash recipe is one of our go-to fall side dishes. It takes just a few minutes to prep and pull together. But the best part - the caramelization of the squash’s sugars - happens all by itself in the oven.
This five-ingredient side dish uses items that are readily available at the grocery store:
- Delicata squash
- Olive oil
- Fresh rosemary
- Salt & pepper
Never made delicata squash before? You don’t need to be mad kitchen skills to make stand-out squash at home.
Start by scraping out the seeds from the squash. Cut into crescent moons and toss in bowl with oil, rosemary, salt & pepper. Bake in a preheated oven until perfectly caramelized.
The result? Edges are that crispy and caramelized, insides that are velvety and tender and a savory bite from the rosemary, salt and pepper.
Tip: Pop your baking sheet in the oven while it preheats. Placing the sliced squash on a sizzling hot pan helps it roast faster and more evenly.
It’s definitely on the sweeter side as far as squashes go. Think of it like a flavor mash up between a butternut squash and a sweet potato with a rich, creamy texture.
Yes, you can! The name “delicata” came from the delicate rind of the squash. It’s easy to slice through when raw and is completely edible when cooked.
This recipe is best straight from the oven. If you try to reheat it, the flavor is still great but you lose those delicious crispy edges (my favorite part!).
If you do have leftovers, feel free to chop them up and toss them in salad with some cooked farro, fresh greens, shaved parmesan, toasted walnuts and a tasty maple vinaigrette.
This recipe for roasted delicata squash is a great place to start but feel free to shake it up with some of these substitutions:
- Mix up the herbs. Swap out the rosemary for thyme or your favorite herb.
- Turn up the heat. Forgo the herbs entirely and sprinkle on a healthy amount of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Roast with other veggies like carrots, onions or sweet potatoes for a medley of flavors.
More roasted vegetable recipes
- These little bites of Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Onions are a huge hit in our family. Super easy side dish for weeknight meals.
- Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and perfectly salted. Need we say more about this Smashed Potatoes Recipe?
- These Oven Roasted Carrots are a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy thanks to a tasty combo of maple syrup and crushed red pepper. Irresistible!
- We always fight over the crispy bits in this Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli recipe.
- You’ll be amazed at how versatile these Oven Roasted Tomatoes are - use them in appetizers, pasta or snack on them straight from the oven. Plus they freeze beautifully!
- A decadent drizzle of balsamic reduction elevates these Roasted Brussels Sprouts from great to exceptional.
- Parmesan cheese, onions and thyme add a major flavor boost to this Roasted Cauliflower recipe.
Don’t miss all of our side dish recipes in our archives!
- 1 large Delicata squash, halved, seeded and sliced into 1/2" crescent moons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Place large baking sheet in oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Gently toss squash, oil, rosemary, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Place squash pieces on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 8-10 minutes or to desired degree of doneness.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
Shake up your dinner menu with this easy Roasted Delicata Squash recipe. Made with just 5 ingredients, it’s the perfect fall side dish for any meal, including Thanksgiving. (Bonus: no peeling required!)