Spice up your side dishes with this Roasted Carrots recipe. Simply made with sweet maple syrup and spicy crushed red pepper, these caramelized carrots instantly elevate any meal with just a handful of ingredients.
There is no better way to eat carrots than these spicy sweet oven roasted carrots.
Trust us; this easy side dish is nothing like the bland, cooked carrots of your youth. This foolproof recipe is perfect for any meal from casual weeknight dinners to extravagant holiday spreads.
Why this recipe works
- Roasting at a high heat makes these baked carrots fork tender with crispy, caramelized edges thanks to a generous amount of maple syrup.
- Crushed red pepper adds the perfect amount of heat to keep the the sweet and savory balance in check.
- Plus with only six ingredients (including salt and pepper), you'll have this easy recipe on the table in no time flat.
You probably have all of the ingredients you need for these maple roasted carrots in your pantry and fridge!
A few ingredient notes:
- Try to buy carrots that are approximately the same size. It's not mandatory (you can always cut them to be similar shapes), but it does shave a few minutes off prep time.
- Pure maple syrup is a must here. None of that pancake syrup stuff!
- Prep your carrots by cleaning, peeling and cutting into similar sizes. This ensures your carrots are done cooking at approximately the same time.
- Season carrots with oil, maple syrup, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Roast in a high heat oven until insides are fork tender and outsides are caramelized.
Want to roast ALL the veggies now? Check out our guide to how to make perfect oven roasted vegetables. We've got tips and tricks for all sorts of foolproof baked veggies.
If you're using fresh, thinner carrots, you can forgo peeling as the skins are usually tender and thin. The larger carrots that come in bulk typically have tougher skins, and I peel these carrots for this recipe.
Yes! This is a great shortcut when time is tight but be mindful of two things:
1) Bagged baby carrots are usually filled with water. Drain and pat the carrots dry so the oil and syrup adhere to them.
2) Baby carrots vary in size just like regular carrots. You'll still probably have to cut them into similar sizes.
From fancy holiday food like this recipe for How to Cook Beef Tenderloin to easy weeknight meals like this Feta Chicken with Fresh Chives or these crispy oven Baked Chicken Thighs, these carrots pair perfectly with almost any main dish.
More roasted vegetables
- Make a fuss-free vegetable side dish with this easy Rosemary Roasted Delicata Squash recipe. No peeling required!
- Sweet onions and fresh rosemary make these bite-sized Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes absolutely addicting.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts go from average to exceptional with a drizzle of savory balsamic vinegar.
- Try adding a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to this Roasted Cauliflower recipe and see why we can't get enough.
- Everyone loves this easy Oven Roasted Broccoli recipe. With only 5 ingredients, it's the BEST way to eat broccoli!
- Roasted root vegetables don't get much more yummy than these Garlic Butter Roasted Parsnips.
- We have even more easy side dishes in our archives!
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into slices about ½" wide and about 2" in length
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine carrots, oil, syrup, crushed red pepper and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour onto baking sheet. Roast for about 30 minutes, flipping carrots after 20 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Two pounds of carrots seems like a lot but you'll be amazed at how much they cook down in the oven. Feel free to use two sheet pans if yours aren't large enough to accommodate all the carrots.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 128Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
This easy Sweet and Spicy Maple Roasted Carrots recipe will make you WANT to eat your veggies. Perfect side dish for any meal!