This Feta Chicken recipe was one of our first blog posts on Garnish with Lemon – and it’s still one of the most popular to date. Come see why so many people love this quick and easy weeknight dinner!
Quick and easy Feta Chicken recipe
Chicken served with a creamy feta cheese sauce has long been a crowd-pleaser at my house. It’s not super fancy food, and it’s not complicated to make, but it’s always a hit.
There are only so many ways you can excite people about chicken, but this Feta Chicken recipe is one of them! That flavorful, tangy feta cheese sauce steals the show here – with good reason.
Have some dinner guests you want to impress, but don’t have the time to spend hours prepping a complicated dinner menu? No worries, I have you covered with this easy recipe everyone will love, and the best part is, no one will know it actually took no time at all.
This easy chicken recipe will give you weekend date night quality flavors, and only require weeknight busy schedule time and effort. It’s really a win-win situation all around!
How to make Chicken with Feta Cheese Sauce
I love a good homemade cheese sauce, especially when it’s a recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to make. You can have the whole recipe, chicken and all completed and on the table in under 30 minutes, and here’s how!
How to prepare the chicken
The chicken in this recipe can be grilled or cooked on the stove. Since we eat this Chicken Feta recipe all year round, we usually grill the chicken in the summer months and cook it on the stovetop in the winter.
The instructions for cooking the chicken remain the same regardless of how you cook it:
- Heat skillet or grill over medium-high heat.
- Lightly coat chicken breasts with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to the pan or grill when hot. Cook on each side until cooked through.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
Tips For Making Feta Cheese Sauce
Never made a feta cheese sauce before? Here are a couple of tips to get your sauce to look as thick and smooth as this one:
- If using a block of feta cheese, grate it as finely as possible. If using pre-crumbled feta cheese, try to break up the cheese into as small of pieces as possible. (There are always huge chunks in my feta whenever I buy it pre-crumbled). The finer the grate of the cheese, the easier your feta cheese will “melt”.
- Stir in your cheese a few handfuls at a time to ensure a smoother and more even incorporation into the sauce.
- I like to use a “gravy” whisk when making any sort of sauce. Not familiar? It’s basically a flat whisk that allows me to get into the edges of the pan better than a traditional balloon whisk.
Not exactly. Feta cheese will not fully melt like a mozzarella or other softer cheese. This has to do with the varying moisture content in the different cheeses but I’m not going to get all scientific on you.
Know there will be a few bits visible in your sauce and that’s totally fine and doesn’t impact the flavor at all.
Can you make this feta cheese sauce ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the sauce ahead of time if you’re in a time crunch. Simply reheat when ready to serve. It also never fails to add new life to any assortment of leftovers, so feel free to use it on other things, too.
What Should I Serve With This Easy Chicken Recipe?
The recipe world is your oyster when it comes to what to serve with this chicken with feta cheese sauce recipe. I honestly can’t think of anything that would be wrong to pair with this combo. Serve it with potatoes, vegetables, salad, pasta, or anything else you can think of.
What’s fun about this one is that with the right sides this can turn into a meal fit for a sophisticated dinner party, or a casual weeknight meal the whole family will enjoy.
My family’s favorite way to eat this dish is with couscous or rice to soak up the savory sauce. Add a veggie of choice, like Oven Roasted Asparagus With Brown Butter, and voila, dinner is served!
Another great serving option is to make enough for the whole week and use it for lunch meal prep. Just grab a few airtight containers and fill with the chicken and feta sauce, veggie of your choice, and white or brown rice and you have a perfectly portioned and ready-to-go lunch for the rest of the week.
Yes, you guys love this Feta Chicken Recipe, but we’ve noticed that you also have a few other favorites. Don’t miss three more of our most popular posts on Garnish with Lemon!
There are so many scrumptious chicken recipes out there! Check out some of our favorites!
Tequila Lime Chicken Fajitas – Garnish with Lemon
Oven Baked Crispy Chicken – Barefeet in the Kitchen
Easy Pizza Chicken – All Day I Dream About Food
Grilled Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad – Garnish with Lemon
See all of our main dish recipes here!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat chicken breasts with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan when hot. Cook 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk constantly for one minute. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Stir in chives and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 5-7 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Add cheese by the handful and stir until cheese is melted.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with additional fresh chives, if desired.
You may have extra sauce, depending on how saucy you like your chicken.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 145mg Sodium: 610mg Carbohydrates: 5g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 44g