You’ll never think of cauliflower the same way again after one bite of this Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower with caramelized onions and fresh thyme.
Cauliflower always gets the bum rap and seems like an afterthought addition to the menu. It gets left on the veggie tray, soggy and steamed, but no more! I made this Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower that I found in Bon Appetit a couple of weeks ago, and this recipe hit it out of the park. Roasting the cauliflower mellows the taste and brings out the sweetness in it. Add to it caramelized onions, thyme, garlic and nutty parmesan cheese, and you have a a dynamic combination – one that even cauliflowers haters will embrace. Gone are the days of serving steamed cauliflower with the thick orange cheese sauce and dill dip. Once you roast it, it will be hard to go back.
It always amazes me how roasting vegetables brings out a different taste. This roasted cauliflower is so rich and flavor-packed from the thyme, garlic and onion and olive oil. And easy peasy to make, too. Clean the cauliflower head and cut off the bottom leaves while leaving the head intact. Slice it in 1-inch sections through the head. The thick sections of cauliflower brown and caramelize when they lie flat on the pan. To die for, I promise. And yes, I’m still talking cauliflower here. Eat this for lunch, with pasta, add it to a salad, or keep it as a traditional side. Whichever way it is served, it is a tasty addition to the menu and a fabulous way to get more veg in your meals.
Make cauliflower the star instead of the side show. You won’t regret it.
- 1 head cauliflower- cut into thick sections
- 1 Vidalia onion- sliced
- 6 Thyme Sprigs
- 4-6 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 3-4 T Olive Oil
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Clean cauliflower and cut in sections. In a large bowl, toss sliced onion, thyme, sprigs, and garlic with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and gently toss again.
- Spread cauliflower mixture on a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes.
- Turn the cauliflower over to brown other side and add the parmesan cheese.
- Roast for another 10- 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g