This homemade Sweet and Tangy Tomato Jam recipe is a tasty new way to use that bumper crop of summer tomatoes. This jam is so easy to make and goes with everything. No canning experience required!
When your homegrown tomato plants start bursting with fruit, you can never have enough tomato recipes. We have our go-to’s that we look forward to every summer, but we also try to add at least one new tomato recipe to the mix.
This year’s winner is this homemade Sweet and Tangy Tomato Jam recipe. It’s a total keeper, couldn’t be easier to make, and you’ll find yourself sneaking spoonfuls out of the jar and slathering it on everything you possibly can!
What is tomato jam?
This recipe for Sweet and Savory Tomato Jam is like bottling up all the deliciousness of summer tomatoes in concentrated spoonfuls. The jam’s well-balanced mix of sweet tomatoes, tangy vinegar and savory spices had me hooked after one bite.
This tomato jam recipe is soooooooo versatile. Seriously. You can use this jam in loads of ways. Need some inspiration?
- Slather it on a sturdy grilled fish or pork tenderloin
- Add it to any meat and cheese tray for a tasty twist
- A delicious addition to a grilled cheese or fried egg sandwich
- Swap ketchup for this jam on your burger for an instant flavor boost
- Smear it on baguette slices with a creamy cheese (my personal favorite!)
- You can even whisk a bit into a bloody mary to give your brunch beverage a unique flavor kick
OK, I’m going to make this Sweet and Tangy Tomato Jam recipe. How long will it keep?
This recipe makes about 3 cups, a reasonable amount that will last in the fridge for about 3 weeks. Of course, if you’re a hot water bath canner, by all means double the recipe and save a few pints for winter noshing.
That fresh taste of summer couldn’t be more welcome on chilly fall evenings.
More summer tomato recipes
Fresh Tomato Arugula Bruschetta - Garnish with Lemon®
Tomato Salad with Avocado, Tuna, Cilantro and Lime - Kalyn's Kitchen
Fresh Corn, Tomato and Zucchini Salad - Recipe Girl
Pesto Pizza with Goat Cheese, Tomatoes and Arugula - Garnish with Lemon®
Sweet and Tangy Tomato Jam
- 3 ½ pounds tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place all ingredients in a dutch oven. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer until mixture is thickened like jam, almost 3 hours.
- You can proceed to can the jam in a hot water bath at this point or simply divide the jam and store in the fridge for a few weeks.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.