Filled with protein and made with pantry staples, this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad is a tasty light lunch or perfect side dish to any meal!
I’m always trying to get more whole grains into our regular menu rotation and this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad has become a family favorite! I’m lucky that my family loves olives and will eat them in anything. But really, who wouldn’t love a quinoa salad filled with red onion, red pepper, tomatoes, kalamata olives and feta cheese? The fact I can make it ahead of time is just the icing on the cake.
This Mediterranean Quinoa Salad has so many great flavors in one bite and is finished off with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and cilantro….Delish! Quinoa itself doesn’t have much flavor; it’s what you put with it that gives it the flavor. I’ve found that letting the quinoa cool to room temperature and then adding the red wine vinegar and olive oil before all of the other ingredients really lets the flavors seep into the quinoa.
A flavorful quinoa salad can’t be beaten. Serve it for lunch, as a side with dinner or as a quick after-school snack. It keeps well in the fridge and can be eaten at room temperature or cold. All great options when trying to please a family.
Looking for more side dish and salad ideas? Follow us on Pinterest!
You can never have too many BBQ side dishes! Check out some of our other favorites!
Tomato Feta Pasta Salad– Garnish with Lemon®
Easy Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing– Spend with Pennies
Tomato Feta Pasta Salad-Garnish with Lemon®
Thai Quinoa Salad- Foodie Crush
Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad- Garnish with Lemon®
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Juice of one lemon
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed in quinoa. Fluff with a fork and cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the oil and vinegar and let quinoa come to room temperature.
- Add onion, tomatoes, pepper, olives, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Stir gently. Add feta cheese and gently combine. Chill for 2 hours to let flavors combine. Squeeze lemon juice over salad right before serving to brighten flavors.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 435mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g