Layers of sliced apples topped with a streusel crumble make this easy Apple Pie a family favorite any time of year!
It’s fall. My favorite season. Colorful leaves crackling under your shoes, the crisp, cool air, football games, school buses, apple picking. It’s also a time where there are 2 clear camps: Team Apple and Team Pumpkin. Which are you?
This house is clearly Team Apple. Anything apple -sweet or savory-immediately disappears when I serve it. Especially this salad, these caramel apple rolls and these bars. But Apple Pie? Hands down Kevin’s favorite dessert.
Picking the right apple for the apple pie has always been something that creates a lot of debate when I’m at the grocery store. Should I try something new and buy Gala, Haralson, Cortland or Macintosh? Or do I stick with the tried and true Granny Smith? That depends on the time of year. If it is fall and prime apple season, I’ll reach for the Haralsons, just because those aren’t always available. Or I’ll do a mix of Haralson and Granny Smith. If it is any other time of the year, I stick to the Granny Smith. Period. Nothing holds it shapes better when it bakes and has such mouth watering tartness that is balanced out with the sweet crumb topping. YUM.
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 8 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3 T. flour
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- For crust: One unbaked pie crust in a nine inch deep dish pie pan.
- For filling: Toss apple slices with flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread evenly in unbaked pie shell.
- For topping: mix together flour , sugar and butter in a food processor until crumbly in texture.
- Sprinkle over apple filling.
- Place pie on a foil lined baking sheet on middle rack of preheated oven.
- Bake 60 minutes at 350 or until apples are tender.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 455Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 4gSugar: 42gProtein: 3g