This savory and smoky Creamy Turkey Pumpkin Chili is a seasonal twist on a fall favorite. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
Have you broken out the pumpkin yet? Fall is here, so if you haven’t already, it’s time to jump on the pumpkin train!
Now I’m not talking pumpkin spice or pumpkin pie. I’m talking Creamy Turkey Pumpkin Chili.
Pumpkin in my chili? Turkey in my chili? Are you kidding me? Nope, I’m being straight with you. Just try it, and I bet you will be an instant fan, too. The smoky chipotle peppers, cumin and chili powder, along with the savory pumpkin, transform this dish into an amazing fall chili.
Why do you use ground turkey in this chili recipe?
The ground turkey is the perfect neutral backdrop for the pumpkin and smoky chilis. I love being able to have a little twist on the ordinary that is seasonal (not to mention healthier).
What makes this chili creamy?
Everything is better with cheese. And we are so excited about this new cheese that Kerrygold® just released: Kerrygold® Mild Cheddar Shreds! All of the great taste of Kerrygold cheese in the convenience of shreds. It melts beautifully and adds the perfect finishing touch to this turkey chili recipe.
Note: My recipe does not call for beans mainly because my husband and kids aren't fans, but black beans are a tasty addition to this chili recipe.
Can I make this chili ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can make this chili on the stove top or in the slow cooker, which makes it an ideal (and seasonally perfect!) meal for any fall gathering. Just make sure you brown your meat before putting it in the slow cooker and then let it simmer all day. Wait to stir in the cheeses until right before serving. That will give the chili the best consistency.
What should I put on top of my Creamy Turkey Chili?
The sky is the limit! We opted for fresh avocado, chopped cilantro, and more cheese. But some sour cream and hot sauce would taste great too! Get creative with your options and let your guests create their own masterpiece!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Kerrygold. We only share products with you that we personally use and love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Garnish with Lemon possible.
- • 1 tablespoon canola oil
- • 1 small onion, diced
- • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- • 1 pound ground turkey
- • 1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- • 1 (15-oz) can pumpkin puree
- • 1 (4-oz) can diced green chiles
- • 2 tablespoons chili powder
- • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- • 2 - 3 tablespoons cumin (depending on how much cumin you like)
- • 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- • 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, chopped
- • Salt to taste
- • 2 cups chicken broth
- • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- • 4 ounces cream cheese
- • 1 cup Kerrygold® Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
1. In a large dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in canola oil over medium heat until translucent. Add turkey and cook until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes, pumpkin, green chiles, spices, chipotle peppers and chicken broth. Adjust seasonings if necessary (adding more chili powder or cumin to suit your taste).
2. Cook on medium for 15 minutes to let flavors develop.
3. Add corn and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
4. Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
5. Add Kerrygold® Shredded Mild Cheddar and stir until melted.
6. Top with desired toppings and serve.
This can also be made in a crock pot. After step one, put cooked meat, garlic and onions in a slow cooker and add remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours
Wait to stir in cheese until right before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 841mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g