This refreshing, 3-ingredient Whiskey Ginger Cocktail is one of the easiest & best whiskey drinks to make at home.
This 3-ingredient cocktail goes by a slew of names, but I think we can all agree that the combination of whiskey, ginger ale and fresh lime juice makes this easy Whiskey Ginger drink one refreshing libation!
This recipe is also available as a Web Story 👉 Whiskey Ginger Drink ‼️
Just because an ingredient list is simple doesn’t mean it can’t be delicious! There are only three ingredients in this easy drink:
- Whiskey - use your favorite!
- Ginger ale - I love Fever-Tree or Q ginger ales for this drink.
- Lime wedge - don't skip it!
Some cocktails are sticklers for proportions. For example, I wouldn’t just toss the ingredients for a Perfect Manhattan into a glass and hope for the best.
But this whiskey mixed drink isn’t a fussy cocktail at all:
1. Fill a highball glass with ice. Measure desired amount of whiskey and add it to the glass. (These beakers are great for measuring liquids, especially for smaller amounts like in cocktails. Definitely one of our favorite kitchen tools!)
2. Top with ginger ale.
3. Squeeze the juice from a fresh lime wedge into the glass.
4. Stir cocktail with straw or a bar spoon.
These two mixers look nearly identical so let’s set the record straight.
Ginger beer: Back when ginger beer was invented in 1700s England, it was an alcoholic beverage. Fast forward to today and even though it has “beer” in its name, most ginger beer you buy at the store doesn’t actually contain alcohol.
Ginger ale: Likewise, there is no alcoholic “ale” in ginger ale. It’s basically soda (or pop - depending on where you live) - a sweetened carbonated beverage with ginger flavoring. Consider ginger ale a tamer version of ginger beer with a more delicate flavor, a lighter color and more carbonation.
If you love ginger beer, you can definitely use it in this recipe. Ginger beer will give you a spicier drink while ginger ale gives a sweeter, smoother flavor. I personally prefer using ginger ale in my Whiskey Ginger drinks.
You don’t need a super expensive bottle of whiskey to make this ginger ale cocktail. Grab a reliable, mid-priced bottle and save the higher-end stuff for sipping on the rocks. A big buck bottle is not needed (though you definitely want to buy something you like the taste of).
Easy self-serve cocktail
A drink station is the easiest way to make sure you’re not tending bar all night at your party. This Whiskey Ginger is a simple ginger ale cocktail that is always a hit.
Place the whiskey, ginger ale and lime wedges on a table along with glasses and ice. Guests can add as much or as little whiskey to their cocktails as they like. Cheers!
Pin this easy Whiskey Ginger Cocktail for later!
More good whiskey drinks
Looking for more drink ideas? Check out some of our favorites!
- Add a unique twist to your cocktails with this Whiskey Sour recipe made with meyer lemons or a colorful, holiday spin with this Cranberry Whiskey Sour recipe.
- Never tried Aperol before? If you're a whiskey fan, you'll love these Bourbon and Aperol Cocktails.
- Or maybe a lighter drink is more your speed? A splash of bourbon gives these Elderflower Cocktails a delicious kick!
- Maple syrup gives a classic drink a new flavor in this Maple Old Fashioned recipe.
- This Gold Rush Cocktail - with bourbon, ginger liqueur and lemon juice - is the perfect drink for a chilly evening.
- You can never go wrong with a classic Whiskey Smash.
- We love to serve these Bourbon and Apple Cider Drinks during the fall and holidays.
- Don't skip our archives! There you'll find 10+ recipes for our favorite whiskey drinks.
- 2 ounces whiskey
- 5 ounces ginger ale
- 1 lime wedge
- Fill a highball glass with ice. Pour whiskey into glass.
- Top with ginger ale.
- Squeeze and float a lime wedge in the glass.
The amount of whiskey can vary depending on your personal taste (and size of your glass). Pour in the amount that works for you!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cocktail
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 0g
Just three ingredients - spicy ginger ale, hearty whiskey and a squeeze of fresh lime juice - make this Whiskey Ginger one of the easiest ginger ale cocktails around! It's super refreshing, comes together in minutes and is a great cocktail recipe for spur of the moment happy hours or large groups as it can also be served batch style.