Our creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Italian sausage and fresh sage is pure, seasonal comfort food. This easy weeknight dinner recipe always disappears!
When the weather turns cooler, we all start craving comfort food.
Sometimes that means baking sweets, but this savory Pumpkin Pasta is far from tasting like dessert. With zippy Italian sausage, a creamy pumpkin sauce and a generous amount of fresh sage leaves, this Pumpkin Pasta is the best thing to happen to your dinner table this season.
Don’t be overwhelmed by the ingredient list. Almost everything is a pantry staple that you probably have on hand:
- Pasta - I like medium-sized pasta for this recipe because I feel it works well with the sausage chunks but any pasta shape will work just fine.
- Italian sausage - Want a little kick? Go for spicy or hot sausage. Prefer a more family-friendly vibe? Choose mild Italian sausage.
- Bay leaf
- Fresh sage leaves
- White wine - I used a Washington Pinot Gris. Opt for a drier wine instead of a sweeter one.
- Chicken stock
- Pumpkin puree
- Nutmeg, salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
Don’t feel like doing extra dishes tonight? Make this recipe in stages in the same pot!
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Brown the sausage along with the onion and garlic. Add the wine, sage and bay leaf. Continue to cook and reduce wine by about half.
- Stir in stock, pumpkin and cream. Season with nutmeg salt and pepper.
- Add pasta back to pot with sauce and stir to combine. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan.
Yes, but I recommend making the sauce and the pasta separately and combining when you are ready to eat so the pasta doesn’t absorb all of the sauce as it sits. Just before serving, gently warm the sauce, add the cooked pasta and heat through.
Tip: Toss your cooked pasta with a little bit of olive oil before refrigerating to keep the pasta from sticking together.
Add an equal amount of chicken stock in place of the wine.
A killer salad is a must with this pasta recipe. A few of our favorites are this Arugula Salad with roasted grapes and feta cheese as well as this Pear Salad with candied nuts and a maple vinaigrette.
And don’t forget to check out all of our main dish recipes for more dinnertime inspiration!
More pumpkin recipes
- This flavorful pumpkin chili is made with protein-rich ground turkey for a healthier weeknight meal.
- Start your morning with a batch of these pumpkin apple waffles.
- Want some dessert recipes? These pumpkin cheesecake bars have a chocolate cookie crust for a gorgeous layered appearance. Short on time? Get some of that same cheesecake flavor with this quick and easy pumpkin dip. Or try something new with this pumpkin bars recipe that uses a pumpkin bread mix as well as pumpkin butter.
- If you prefer to drink your pumpkin, this pumpkin martini is for you. Made with Kahlúa and butterscotch liqueurs, this drink is dessert in a glass.
- 1 pound medium-shaped pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, dried
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped sage
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions, Set aside.
- Brown sausage in a large pot or skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for another 3 minutes. Add bay leaf, sage and wine to the pan. Reduce wine by half, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in chicken stock, pumpkin and cream until sauce is thoroughly combined. Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer sauce for 5-10 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta to the sausage sauce and heat through. Remove bay leaf.
- Top with parmesan cheese and serve warm.
This recipe was adapted from Food Network.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 694mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 18g
Add some seasonal flair to your weeknight dinner with this easy Pumpkin Pasta recipe with fresh sage and Italian sausage. This savory pasta is pure comfort food - perfect for cool, crisp fall evenings!