It's party season, and this Chipped Beef Cheese Ball recipe needs to be a part of your next spread! No matter what the occasion, this savory snack is always a guest favorite!
Our Chipped Beef Dip is one of the most popular appetizer recipes on Garnish with Lemon. And while we love that hot appetizer, too, sometimes I don't want to have to worry about the oven. And that is where this Chipped Beef Cheese Ball comes to the rescue.
Cheese balls are perfect party foods
Holiday party season is just around the corner, and cheese balls are a quintessential party food. They tick all of the party appetizer requirements on my list:
- come together quickly with a short ingredient list
- can be made ahead of time
- friends and family devour them
What more could you ask for?
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Chipped Beef (or dried beef)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Green onions or onion powder
- Chives and extra dried beef for garnish
- Place the softened cream cheese in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add the cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, green onions and 4 ounces of beef to cream cheese mixture and stir.
- Form the mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to let flavors meld.
- Place the remaining diced beef and chopped chives on a plate and mix together.
- Remove cheese ball from plastic and roll in the chive/beef mixture until the outside is well coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
TIP: Chilling the cheese ball does double duty. The time in the fridge allows the flavors to meld together and helps it keep its shape.
Absolutely! It’s one of my favorite appetizers to freeze. I make a double batch and freeze one cheese ball for later. But always freeze it BEFORE it has been rolled in the garnish. Your garnish will not survive the deep freeze.
Simply thaw it in the refrigerator for a few hours before you need to serve it and then add the garnish as directed in the recipe right before guests arrive.
Well, that depends on when you are serving it. If you are serving in the next day or 2, you can roll it in the garnishes after it has chilled for an hour. If you are freezing it for later, wait to roll in garnish when you are serving.
Making a cheese ball is super easy but there are a few tips to make it the best:
1. Use softened cream cheese. Not only does this make mixing up the cheese ball easier, you're virtually guaranteed not to have any lumps.
2. Finely chop the filling ingredients so they spread evenly throughout the cheese ball. No one wants to bite into a big clump of filling that hasn't been well-mixed.
We can make a whole meal out of apps! Check out all of our appetizer recipes!
More Appetizer recipes
- We can never say no to these Bacon Cream Cheese Bites.
- Candied Bacon is the BEST appetizer for a party!
- Ooey, gooey chese wins every time with this Warm Gruyere, Bacon, and Caramelized Onion Dip.
- You won't believe how amazing this Green Olive Dip recipe is.
- Give a 7 Layer Dip a healthy spin with this Layered Greek Dip.
- Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies are always a party hit!
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 5 ounces chipped beef, diced (divided)
- ¼ cup chopped chives (for garnish)
- Place the softened cream cheese in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add the cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, green onions and 4 ounces of beef to cream cheese mixture and stir until combined.
- Form the mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to let flavors meld.
- Place the remaining diced beef and chopped chives on a plate and mix together. Remove cheese ball from plastic and roll in the chive/beef mixture until the outside is well coated. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Pull the cheese ball out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe freezes well but wait to garnish before serving. You can also double the recipe and freeze one cheese ball for later. Thaw cheese ball in the fridge for 2 hours and roll in garnish before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 409mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
This Chipped Beef Cheese Ball recipe is an easy, make-ahead appetizer that is perfect for any party! It's a great savory snack that will have everyone asking for the recipe.