Fresh herbs from the garden make this Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce my favorite way to eat steak in the summertime.
Grilling season is in full swing in Minnesota and I am sharing one of my favorite go-to recipes for the grill: Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce. Flank steak is one of my favorite cuts of beef (unless we are talking ribeye slathered with Gorgonzola Butter).
My friend, Sarah, shared this recipe with me several years ago, and it has since become a staple on our summer menu. The chimichurri sauce is full of summertime flavors (think herbs, shallots, olive oil, lemon juice) and is so easy to tailor to your individual tastes and the ingredients you have on hand or in your herb garden.
I love recipes that don’t require me to run to the grocery store when I am out of something.
The chimichurri sauce does double duty in this dish serving as the marinade and dipping sauce. It’s bright, flavorful and fresh – a perfect deviation from the traditional soy marinades you see. And even though it’s green, kids love it, too.
Even better? It’s great for a feeding a crowd. I can have my meal prep done ahead of time, and it’s easy to grill in large quantities.
Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 shallots minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ⅔ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ⅔ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds of flank steak
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the garlic, vinegar, shallots, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, basil, and oregano. Pulse until well blended. almost pureed. Add the black pepper, salt and crushed red pepper. Mix well. Add with olive oil in a steady stream and mix well. Remove 1 cup of the sauce from the processor and transfer to a non-reactive bowl, cover with plastic wrap and reserve at room temp for up to 6 hrs.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper and place in a large, resealable plastic bag. Add the remaining chimichurri sauce from the processor. Seal bag and refrigerate the steak for 4 to 12 hours.
- Let steak come to room temperature before grilling, remove from refrigerator and set on counter for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Place the steak on the hot grill and grill for 3 minutes per side. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Slice across the grain and serve with the reserved chimmichurri sauce.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.