Don't let the holidays stress you out! Making dressing is a snap! This Homemade Stuffing Recipe (just like mom used to make) feeds 6 or can be easily doubled (or tripled) to feed a crowd!
Raise your hand if you are hosting the holidays this year! Your search for the perfect Thanksgiving dressing recipe is over.
Any other stuffing lovers out there? Or is it dressing? Whatever you choose to call it, this Homemade Stuffing recipe with apples and sage is one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes!
To be honest, this recipe is so good we don't save it just for the holidays, I love to make it as a side dish with a roasted chicken too. Whenever I'm feeling a little nostalgic and want some comfort, this recipe makes an appearance on our table.
The ingredient list is pretty basic and made with easy to find items! If celery isn't your favorite, feel free to omit it. Are you a sage lover like me? Add a little more. It's easy to make it the way you love it!
- Seasoned Bread Cubes
- poultry seasoning
- chicken broth
I love the crispy, browned bits around the edges, so I bake mine a little longer. If you want it softer, simply add more chicken broth. This recipe is super forgiving and can easily be tailored to meet your taste.
Stuffing is when it is cooked inside the bird and dressing is when it is baked separately. So technically this is dressing, but I always call it stuffing.
It's a mix of seasonings that adds a rich, savory flavor to homemade stuffing. You can find it in the spice aisle of your grocery store or make your own Homemade Poultry Seasoning at home.
Is your stuffing a soggy mess? Dom't despair, you can fix it! If you added too much moisture, it's easy to get it crispy. Simply spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake until it is dried to the desired texture.
We all know that Thanksgiving cooking involves many different dishes and can be stressful. These make-ahead tips let you get the prep done the day before.
- Prepare the apple mixture ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Place bread cubes and seasonings in a large bowl and set aside until ready to bake.
- Reheat apple mixture and toss with breadcrumbs.
More Thanksgiving Sides
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a great paleo option!
- Pear Salad with a Maple Vinaigrette will help everyone eat their greens.
- Cornbread Stuffing Recipe filled with sausage and dried fruit is always a hit!
- These Make-ahead Mashed Potatoes let you get the work (and mess) done ahead of time!
Homemade Stuffing Recipe
Making dressing is a snap with this easy Homemade Stuffing recipe filled with apples and sage.
- 1 12-ounce bag Sage and Onion Stuffing Cubes
- ½ cup butter
- 2 apples diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1-2 tablespoons sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add apples, celery, and onion. Cook for 10 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Add apple mixture and toss to coat.
- Add seasonings and stir.
- Add broth and stir to coat. Add enough for the bread cubes to be wet, but not soggy.
- Grease a 9 x 12 baking dish and place bread mixture in pan.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until desired brownness is reached.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.
Never make stuffing from a box again! Making dressing is a snap with this easy Homemade Stuffing recipe filled with apples and sage.