Chunky tomatoes, smoky beans and roasted corn simmered in taco seasoning make this Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup a dream come true on a cold night. No chopping required! Just measure, dump and pour and walk in with dinner ready to go at the end of a busy day.
We all crave warm, comforting meals when cold weather rolls around. This Chicken Taco Soup takes the best flavors from two popular comfort foods - tacos and chili - and combines them into a hearty meal that is packed with lean protein, lots of veggies and is oh-so-satisfying. Made in a slow cooker, it's great for those busy nights on the run.
Why you'll love this Chicken Taco Soup
✔︎ Hands off! The slow cooker does ALL the work in this easy soup recipe. Simply dump, pour and stir. 7 hours later dinner is done. Perfect for those busy nights when everyone eats at different times.
✔︎ The ingredient list is filled with pantry and freezer staples. It's easy to have the items needed on hand to make this slow cooker favorite.
✔︎ It's a healthier take on chili! Chicken breasts give you lean protein making this a lean, heart-healthy option compared to beef chili recipes.
Pantry staples are the base of this easy Chicken Taco Soup recipe.
Black Beans: Any canned black beans work here, but I like to use seasoned black beans (chili ready) for extra flavor.
Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes with green chiles are essential for this recipe. You can also use Ro-Tel tomatoes, but you'll need to use 3 cans since they are only 10 ounces/can.
Beer: Use a beer you like because the flavor does shine through.
Corn: Frozen Roasted Corn ( I love Trader Joe's frozen corn) adds the perfect amount of smokiness to this taco soup!
Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts work best for this recipe.
Taco Seasoning: Use your favorite mix (2 packages) or make your own!
The slow cooker does all of the heavy lifting for this easy dinner recipe.
Combine all ingredients up to chicken breasts in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Add chicken breasts and slightly immerse them in the soup mixture.
Cover and cook for low for 8 hours.
Remove chicken breasts from pot and shred with 2 forks.
Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup and serve.
Don't stress if you forgot to pull the chicken breasts out of the freezer. Simply add the frozen chicken to the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours before shredding the chicken breasts and you will get excellent results!
There are generally 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning in a packet. This recipe uses 4 tablespoons so you'll need two packages of seasoning. Otherwise, add 4 tablespoons of your favorite taco seasoning blend. We love Penzey's!
Yes, it can! Simply omit the chicken breasts and add another can of beans. The chicken broth can easily be replaced with vegetable broth.
✘ Don't shred the chicken too early. The longer the chicken cooks in the soup, the easier it is to shred. After eight hours, your chicken will shred effortlessly!
✘ The toppings definitely make this soup next level. Fresh cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream are our favorites along with a handful of crushed tortilla chips.
✘ This soup freezes very well so make a double batch of this soup and freeze some for later. Your future self will thank you!
✘ This Chicken Taco Soup is great for a party! Double the recipe, set out the fixings, and let people create their own masterpieces.
Substitutions and Shortcuts
▶︎ Short on time? Skip the slow cooker! Combine everything except the chicken in a large dutch oven. Cook for about 30 minutes. Substitute shredded rotisserie chicken for the raw chicken and stir it in just before serving.
▶︎If you don't have any beer on hand or avoid alcohol, simply use chicken broth in its place.
▶︎ Swap out the frozen corn and use canned or fresh corn cut off the cob.
▶︎ Can't find any seasoned black beans? Swap in regular black beans and add a heaping teaspoon of chili powder and cumin. Regular chili beans can also be used.
More Slow Cooker Favorites
The slow cooker is one of the most used small appliances in my kitchen. Check out these Crock Pot Chicken Thighs or some of our other favorite crock pot recipes.
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Your feedback helps us and your fellow readers!
Chicken Taco Soup
- 15 ounces seasoned black beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 12 ounces beer
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado and tortilla chips
- Place the black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Stir to combine.15 ounces seasoned black beans,, 2 cups frozen corn, 8 ounces tomato sauce, 12 ounces beer, 28 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies,, ½ cup chicken broth, 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Place chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover and cook for 8 hours.3 chicken breasts,
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup, place on a cutting board and shred with 2. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup and serve.
- Garnish with shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro and avocado, if desired.Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado and tortilla chips
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.
Before publishing, complete this checklist, deleting the list items as you complete them:
- All images have alt tags
- Content is on-topic (minimal or no personal stories)
- You've manually linked to related posts in the content (try to do this naturally, not as a separate list of links)
- Yoast meta description filled out (best practice)
- Featured image has been set (1200x1200, JPG)
- Hidden pin has been set
- Check your recipe schema has been fully filled out at https://search.google.com/test/rich-results (after publishing)
- Check https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ to make sure this recipe has enough content above-the-fold to cause images to lazyload (after publishing)
- Clarify any intermediate or advanced cooking techniques - not everybody has your experience and knows how to mash garlic, mince onions, or dice potatoes