Need a new appetizer to bring to a party? Mini Crab Cakes are the perfect indulgence. Crisp, golden and filled with jumbo lump crab meat. Be sure to get one before they disappear!
I'm a purist when it comes to a lot of foods, and crab cakes are at the top of the list. I don't like peppers, onions, celery or other vegetables in them. I simply want big chunks of crab and the taste of the crab meat to shine through.
That's just what happens with these easy Mini Crab Cakes. A short ingredient list makes them simple to put together, too. Win-Win!
- Don't over mix the crabmeat mixture,
- Chill the mixture well (or else you'll end up with a crumbly mess of crab pieces), and
- Don't crowd the pan.
Sounds easy, right? And it totally is, if you have some patience.
And patience when it comes to crab cakes can be hard. But when you know it leads to these beauties, everything gets a little easier. And it will only take one time for the crab cakes fall apart in the pan to make the waiting even easier next time. (Can you tell I'm speaking from experience?)
Can I make large crab cakes instead of mini ones?
Of course you can. You know how we love things in mini form because it's built-in portion control. But we also love foods that can do double duty.
Need an easy meal? Make 8 big crab cakes, add a salad and dinner is served.
Lucky enough to have leftovers?
Well, that's never happened here, so if it happens to you, let me know. Deal?
Mini Crab Cakes
- ½ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine mayonnaise, egg, mustard, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in a small bowl and stir well. Add crab and panko crumbs and stir gently to coat. Refrigerate for 30 - 60 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
- Gently form crab mixture into mini patties. (I used my medium cookie scoop to portion.) Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat until hot. Add patties to pan and fry for 3 minutes a side. Remove from pan and continue with the rest of the crab patties. Be sure to not overcrowd pan to allow for even browning.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition info not guaranteed to be accurate.