It’s easy to be Irish on St. Patrick’s Day with this Guinness Burgers with Irish Cheddar and Bacon recipe!
Even folks who don’t usually like beer love these Guinness Burgers. The recipe calls for a mere 1/4 cup of brew, so we’re not talking in-your-face Guinness taste. Rather the beer adds a nice depth of flavor that melds nicely with the garlic, onions and dijon mustard.
Any tips for grilling beer burgers?
The burgers are a bit loose when you form them because of the extra liquid from the beer, so be mindful of that when you throw them on the grill. Make sure you oil the grates and/or the patties themselves to ensure they release without tearing the burger in half.
If I’m making a large batch of these Guinness Burgers for a crowd, I will use this burger press to form the burgers. It does a great job of keeping all the patties even so they finish cooking at approximately the same time. You can even form the burgers in advance and keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to grill.
Guinness Burgers are an American classic with an Irish Twist
The burger with a beer meal is a classic combination, but this recipe gets a few upgrades like aged Irish cheddar, crisp bacon and a toasted English muffin. And since everyone is a wee bit Irish on St. Patrick’s Day, enjoy these Guinness Burgers with Irish Cheddar and Bacon with an Irish ale of your choice or one of our tasty Ginger Whiskey Cocktails.
If you’re HUGE burger fans like us, you can never have enough burger recipes:
Sweet & Spicy Hawaiian Burgers – Garnish with Lemon®
2AM Breakfast Burger – Dinners, Dishes & Desserts
Mini Patty Melt Sliders – Garnish with Lemon®
Pepperoni Pizza Burger – Oh, Sweet Basil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Guinness beer
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Extra oil (cooking or olive)
- 4 thick slices cheddar cheese, preferably Irish cheddar (I used Kerrygold Aged Cheddar)
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- Add first 8 ingredients (ground beef through pepper) in a large bowl and gently mix with your hands. Be careful not to overwork the meat or it will become tough. Form 4 equal patties and place on a small sheet pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium high. Lightly oil cooking grates and/or patties. Grill to desired level of doneness, placing cheese on for the last minute or two of grilling. Place burgers on English muffins and top with bacon. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g