Soups warms the soul, right? At least that’s what I’m banking on today. Broccoli Cheese Soup to warm my soul…and every other part, too.The temps here in Minnesota are at record lows, the coldest it’s been in almost 20 years. The governor closed school today for the entire state, and, no, there isn’t any record snow. Just cold. As in -25 temps with a -50 windchill. Seriously, why do those temps even exist??? But we need to suck it up and make the best of it because there is absolutely nothing you can do to change the weather (except move, which has been brought up more than once by Kevin this weekend). So what do we do? Make soup. Broccoli Cheese Soup, to be exact. And I do it in the Crock Pot. I’m crabby enough with the weather; I want dinner to be a no brainer. Sauté, dump, cook. My kind of meal, especially on a cold day.
I use evaporated milk in the Crock Pot version of this soup because it doesn’t break down like milk can when cooked for extended times. But if you prefer to do this on the stovetop, just stir in a cup of cream and heat through before you serve. I puréed this with my immersion blender with the exception of a few chunks of broccoli. I know my audience, and I need to take away every possible protest from Greta. (I have enough aversions of green vegetables with her as it is.) And this isn’t a battle I choose to fight. She will eat broccoli when it’s stir fried or pureed in soup. Charlie, on the other hand, has requested this soup for four lunches straight. Gotta love the fact that broccoli is his favorite vegetable. How many 8 year olds can say that???
I’m hoping our cold snap came early this year, and it’s smooth sailing from here on out. I can’t take these drastic cold temps much longer. The kids need to play outside. But lucky for us, we had this Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup. Cheese is kind of like bacon; it makes everything better. Even the weather.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 carton (32 oz) chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1 bag (14 oz) frozen baby broccoli florets, thawed
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese, if desired
- Spray 4-quart Crock Pot with cooking spray.
- In medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in evaporated milk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into Crock Pot. Stir in broth, broccoli, pepper and salt. Cover; cook on low heat setting for 4 hours or until bubbly.
- Puree with immersion blender (or in batches in a regular blender) to desired smoothness. Pour back in Crock Pot. Add cheese and stir until melted. Serve immediately.