Protein-rich yogurt and heart-healthy olive oil combine to keep this tangy Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Lemon Glaze moist and flavorful. It’s one of our favorite springtime quick breads!
Nothing screams spring like lemons, and this Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Lemon Glaze satisfies my need for light, bright flavors while also giving my sweet tooth the attention it demands/deserves.
I’m always disappointed in lemon poppy seed breads that don’t taste lemony. Not with this recipe! Fresh lemon juice and zest from two lemons ensure there is a bright citrus taste in every bite.
Plus I feel like I can totally indulge my lemony addiction and enjoy more than one piece of this bread since it’s made with both Greek yogurt (great source of protein) and olive oil (rich in “good” fats). The result is a loaf with a delightfully moist, springy texture.
Using Greek yogurt in quick breads
- Use plain full fat or 2% yogurt rather than a flavored version to avoid the extra sugar in flavored yogurts.
- Have a recipe that calls for sour cream? Plain Greek yogurt is an easy (and healthier) substitute for sour cream in most recipes and is an easy 1:1 trade.
Add lemon zest to your Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppy Seed Bread for extra lemon flavor
Lemon zest is technically the colorful part of the lemon peel and contains a lot of flavorful lemon oil. Use a microplane grater to easily remove the zest from the peel being careful to avoid the bitter white pith underneath. Adding a few teaspoons of lemon zest to your bread acts just like concentrated lemon extract and really amps up the lemon flavor. I also like to include lemon zest in the glaze to ensure lemony goodness in every.single.bite of this addicting bread.
Looking for one more sweet to add to your Mother’s Day brunch? Or maybe you’re throwing a bridal or baby shower this spring? You’ll definitely want to add this Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppy Seed Bread to your menu.
Quick breads are my jam, and this Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Lemon Glaze is always a fan favorite. Don’t miss some of these other amazing quick bread recipes:
Chocolate Marbled Banana Bread – Garnish with Lemon
Maple Cinnamon Quick Bread – The Food Charlatan
Zucchini Bread with Craisins and Vanilla Bean Glaze – Garnish with Lemon
Toffee Apple Bread – Inside BruCrew Life
Are you on Pinterest? We’re crazy about citrus and have a whole board dedicated to its goodness!
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Freshly grated zest of 2 lemons, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole or 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 x 4 loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt and half of lemon zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place yogurt, 3/4 cup sugar, eggs and olive oil in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Gently fold flour mixture into yogurt mixture until just combined. (Batter will look lumpy.)
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 47-52 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto cooling rack that has been placed on a baking sheet.
- While the bread is baking, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and 4 tablespoons lemon juice in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium high heat until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in remaining lemon zest. Once the warm bread is placed on the cooling rack, gently spoon or brush lemon syrup over the loaf. Excess syrup will drip onto the baking sheet, but take your time to ensure that most of the syrup is absorbed by the bread. Cool bread completely.
- If desired, whisk together powdered sugar and remaining lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle glaze over top of bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 196mg Carbohydrates: 64g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 18g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g