This Sour Cream Coffee Cake has a cinnamon walnut streusel topping and inner streusel swirl, just like my Grandma used to make!
A lot of coffee cakes get all fancy with fruit and frostings. Not this recipe. My Sour Cream Coffee Cake is pretty traditional with a tender crumb and yummy streusel swirl that gives you a taste of cinnamony-nut goodness in every bite. Delicious for brunch, this coffee cake is also just the right amount of sweet for your afternoon cup of coffee or tea.
Another bonus for this coffee cake recipe? It keeps well for days, which is a big perk when you’re trying to prep ahead of time for brunch guests (if you’re interested in sharing, that is).
- ¾ chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Set aside.
To make streusel:
- Combine all ingredients with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
To make cake:
- Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder in a small bowl and gently whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Alternate adding flour mixture and sour cream and mix gently until thoroughly incorporated. Batter will be thick.
- Pour half of streusel mixture in the bottom of the bundt pan and spread evenly. Add ⅔ of batter on top of streusel and gently level with spoon. Sprinkle remaining streusel evenly over batter and top with remaining ⅓ batter. Smooth top and bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool completely in pan and invert on serving tray when ready to eat.
Keeps covered for several days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 447Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 295mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 5g