August marks the end of summer for us northern-state dwellers, but that doesn’t mean we are ready to part with summer’s bounty quite yet. August is the BEST time to visit your local farmers market because a wealth of produce arrives this month. That produce may vary depending on where you live, but here in Minnesota, August means two things in our family: fresh sweet corn and juicy, vine-ripened tomatoes. Everyone has their tried-and-true recipes for using this delicious abundance of corn and tomatoes, but this Grilled Corn, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad is another excellent one to add to your list.
One of my favorite things about this salad is that you can find almost all of the ingredients for it during your run to the farmers market. We’re talking tomatoes, corn and cilantro. (Heck, some markets will even have the avocado and fresh mozzarella cheese – a one-stop shop!) I prefer the flavor that grilled corn gives this dish, but feel free to skip that extra step and use fresh corn cut straight off the cob; it will still be delicious.
Don’t be put off by the amount of cilantro in the dressing. After a quick spin in the blender with lime juice and olive oil, it mellows nicely and is a flavorful complement to the cool avocados, creamy mozzarella, juicy tomatoes and slight char of the sweet corn.
As it turns out, an ample supply of August produce is a very good (read: tasty) problem to have!
- 1½ cups packed fresh cilantro
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 4 ears of corn, silks and husks removed
- 1½ pounds of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (depending on size)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until dressing is smooth. Add salt (up to 2 teaspoons) and pepper to taste and pulse until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Coat corn with olive oil and grill to desired degree of doneness. Allow corn to cool and cut kernels from cobs.
- Combine corn, tomatoes, mozzarella and avocado in a large bowl. Drizzle with enough dressing to coat (you may have extra) and gently stir to combine. Chill salad for at least 15 minutes and up to 4 hours before serving.