Shrimp can be prepared in so many different ways, but I love how the flavors blend in this Creamy Gruyere and Shrimp Pasta with Peas. Sure it takes a few pans to put it together, but believe me it is worth it. My daughter is not a huge seafood eater, but this is one of two ways she will eat it. Does that tell you how good it is?
The nutty flavor of the gruyere melted with the shrimp, pasta, and peas is delicious. It has just a touch of cayenne that adds a nice little pop of heat at the end. You don’t need to go crazy and buy the expensive jumbo shrimp for this dish – high quality medium-sized shrimp work just great and fit nicely with the orecchiette pasta. My kids love the “little hats”, and they catch the sauce perfectly. Lots of goodness in each bite. Did I mention it is from Cooking Light? No cream, just 2 percent milk. Are you intrigued yet?
This recipe has been a staple in my cooking rotation for many years. The shrimp is impressive enough to serve to guests and also makes a great family dinner. A hearty meatless meal – great for our long Minnesota winters. Spring is coming soon, right? Until it does, this will help us make it through the cold.
- Cooking Spray
- 8 Ounces orecchiette pasta (cooked)
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 cups 2 % Milk
- 2 c shredded Gruyere cheese divided
- 1 T. butter
- 1 1/2 lbs. medium-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 T. dry white wine
- 1/4 t. ground red pepper
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
- Combine flour and salt in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk, bring to a boil. Cook until slightly thick ( about 1 minute) stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/4 cup cheese until melted.
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and garlic, sauté 3 minutes. Stir in wine and pepper, and cook until shrimp is done.
- Add pasta, shrimp mixture and peas to cheese mixture, tossing well to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375 for 20 min- 30 min. (Until cheese melts and begins to turn brown.)
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 562mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 21g