Enjoying s’mores year-round just got a little bit easier with these Gooey Baked S’mores Bars
Anyone else enjoying a wet and cool summer?
Actually “enjoying” is not the right word. Enduring, perhaps?
I would have thought that after our *freakishly* cold winter, we would have earned a reprieve from crazy, unseasonal weather.
There is widespread flooding throughout Minnesota, which puts a major damper on some of our favorite summer activities:
Boating and tubing? Off limits on many lakes because of no-wake zones.
Hitting the greens? Stretches of local golf courses have been underwater since June.
Dropping a line in the water? Our nearby fishing dock is closed because the path that leads to it is flooded. Grrrr.
But the closure that has had the most impact on our lives is a little closer to home: our fire pit. It’s pretty tough to roast s’mores when your fire pit is filled with standing water. So I did what any self-respecting s’mores lover does when faced with such dire circumstances; I baked them. Grab your napkins as these Gooey Baked S’mores Bars are totally worth the stick factor.
We enjoyed these bars on the Fourth of July and have made them TWICE since then. They come together quickly, are a hit at parties and are fun for the kids to help with, too. Spreading the marshmallow creme on top of the chocolate chips is the only tricky part, so make sure you have some hot water handy for rinsing the back of the spoon periodically.
Do you like to get all fancy with your s’mores? Shake up the ingredients here. I’m thinking chocolate and peanut butter chips would be a good combo. Or maybe butterscotch chips and caramel bits. Or even chopped up pieces of your favorite candy bar. (Note: I haven’t tried any of these options personally, but I think they would be tasty experiments to try!)
Despite Mother Nature’s shenanigans, I can still savor at least ONE of summer’s essential pastimes with these Gooey Baked S’mores Bars. Thank goodness; sweet treats are about the only thing keeping my bitterness about this weather at bay.
Love this recipe? Just click the button in the recipe card below, and it will be automatically saved in your ZipList Personal Recipe Box along with all of your other favorites. Plan your meals and create grocery lists all in one place!
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2⅓ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips (about one 11.5-ounce bag)
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 7 x 11 pan with foil (overhanging the sides) and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together graham cracker crumbs, flour and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat together sugar, butter, vanilla and egg for about 2 minutes. Stir in flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Reserve 2 cups of this mixture. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan for the crust.
- Evenly layer chocolate chips on top of crust. Drop spoonfuls of marshmallow creme over the chocolate chips. Using the back of a spoon warmed with hot water gently spread creme evenly over the chips, stopping to rinse spoon and warm with water as needed. Sprinkle the reserved graham mixture over the top.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes or until marshmallow creme starts to lightly brown. Cool thoroughly before lifting foil from pan and cutting into squares.