Need more ways to use your bumper crop of summer berries? This Strawberry Spinach Salad is my hands-down summer favorite!
Strawberry picking has to be one of my favorite events of summer. I’m always so jealous of those people who get to do it so much earlier than we do here in Minnesota. But make no mistake, I use the time I spend waiting to get my line-up of recipes ready to go, and they are worth the wait: Strawberry Layer Cake, Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins and Strawberry-Kiwi Daiquiris are just the beginning. I’m adding a new one this year: Strawberry Spinach Salad with Feta Cheese.
Summer salads are my favorite, and strawberries are the star in this one. And when they are freshly picked and juicy, center stage is exactly where they should be. After all, with ingredients and greens so fresh, you don’t need to add much to them; they shine all on their own. One of my favorite things about the salad is the dressing. It’s made with just a few ingredients (4 if you’re counting), but the mashed strawberries are really what take this to a whole new level of deliciousness. Toss in the salty feta, crunchy pecans and crisp spinach, and it’s pretty much salad heaven. What’s not to love about that?
Want to make it a meal? Top it with grilled chicken, pour a glass of sauvignon blanc and you’re in business. Easy, flavorful and delicious. Summer eating at its best!
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 (9-ounce) bag baby spinach
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup candied pecans
- Pepper to taste
- Mash 3/4 cup of sliced berries in a small bowl. Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar and whisk together. Add the olive oil and whisk to incorporate. Set aside.
To Assemble Salad:
- Place spinach in a large salad bowl. Top with feta cheese and candied pecans. Toss with desired amount of dressing. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Dressing will keep for 2-3 days in refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g
More ways to savor your summer strawberries!