Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is great for gatherings. Just chop and add the ingredients to your slow cooker and 5 hours later dinner is served!
Chili is always a great way to feed a group and this lighter Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili recipe is a tasty twist on your typical beef chili. Best of all, it uses rotisserie chicken to cut the cooking time in half.
I love using my slow cooker, especially when I’m entertaining. It’s an easy way to serve a great meal without being a slave in the kitchen. And this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is my new go-to for a group!
How spicy is this White Chicken Chili?
My family is not a fan of really spicy foods, but that doesn’t mean we need to sacrifice flavor. I love that this recipe uses poblano peppers and green chiles which add depth to the chili without adding heat.
I used one jalapeño (seeded) in this version, but feel free to add another if you want to up the heat.
And since it uses a short cut with a rotisserie chicken I can put it together later in the day and still have dinner done.
What kind of chicken is used in this chili recipe?
I love the shortcut of using rotisserie chicken because I can put it together later in the day and still have dinner done.
But don’t worry if you don’t have rotisserie chicken. You can start with raw chicken too. Just add 3 chicken breasts to the slow cooker with the other ingredients and cook on low for 7 hours. Shred the chicken and cook for another hour before serving.
Filled with flavors of the southwest, this slow cooker white chicken chili is a delicious addition to any gathering. Make entertaining easy and set up a buffet and put out bowls and lots of garnishes and let guests serve themselves!
What are the best toppings for White Chicken Chili?
We love a huge dollop of sour cream, chopped cilantro, and sliced avocado. I also put out some shredded cheese and chips so those dip lovers can use them for scooping up the goodness.
If you’re lucky you’ll have some leftover for lunch tomorrow, but I’m not making any promises.
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans white beans
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 medium poblano peppers, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Juice of one lime
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Extra lime wedges, optional
- Drain and rinse the white beans. Mash half of the beans until chunky and set aside.
- In a the bowl of a slow cooker, add the beans, peppers, chiles, chopped onion, garlic, cumin and chili powder. Stir until peppers and onions are coated. Add chicken broth, lime juice, shredded chicken and cover. Heat on low for 5 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with chopped cilantro and sour cream and extra lime wedges if desired.
Want your chili a little thicker? Stir in 3 tablespoons of corn starch dissolved in warm water after 4 hours.
Serving Size:8 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 1028mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 30g