Fight the cold weather with a bowl of this super simple Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup!
It’s February in Minnesota which can only mean one thing: it’s FREEZING. Fortunately, I’ve lived here long enough to know that the best way to fight the cold is to bring the heat – or hot soup, in this case. This Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup simmers into belly-warming perfection all day long with no more than 10 minutes of effort on my end.
Homemade soup can feel intimidating. But this Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup ups the ante with minimal prep time and hands-free cooking in the slow cooker – two attributes that make it hard to resist. I guarantee that if you like chicken noodle soup, you’re going to love this recipe.
Throw in a chicken breast, some carrots, celery, onions, garlic and a few bay leaves for flavor, and let it simmer away all day in chicken broth. During the last half hour of cooking, toss in some Israeli (or pearl) couscous and some fresh chopped spinach for color. A generous topping of salty Parmesan cheese makes this Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup heaven in a bowl for me on these cold winter days. A warm, hearty meal doesn’t get much easier than this.
P.S. In case you were wondering, my friends at Wikipedia tell me that Italian Wedding Soup is actually the result of a mistranslated Italian language phrase for “married soup”, which refers to the fact that green veggies and meats go well together. I can’t speak to the validity of the translation, but I’ll definitely attest to its goodness.
- 1 pound mini meatballs
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Israeli or pearl couscous (or other small pasta)
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Salt to taste
- Freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place first 10 ingredients (meatballs through chicken broth) in a large slow cooker and gently stir to combine. Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Remove chicken breast from slow cooker and shred meat. Return chicken to slow cooker and add spinach and couscous. Cook for another 30-45 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve warm and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.