Feeding a crowd? Keep it easy – and flavorful – with our Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
Don’t stress about the food the next time you have guests for dinner. This savory Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe almost makes itself and is loaded with ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
Any recipe that is loaded with Mexican flavors – think chili powder, cumin, oregano and crushed red pepper – is always a crowd-pleaser around here. This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup earns double points because it has killer flavor AND is super simple to make. Literally. Throw the laundry list of ingredients in the slow cooker and let the machine work its magic. Your reward is a hearty soup that feeds an army with hardly any work on your part.
I love to serve this soup buffet-style with an array of toppings to suit every tasty bud. Lots of fresh cilantro, sour cream, creamy avocado and salty tortilla strips are a must, but shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes and jalapeno slices are tasty add-ins, too.
Feel free to dial the heat up or down in this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup by adding more or less jalapeno peppers and crushed red pepper, but take my advice and don’t skip the fresh lime juice. It instantly brightens the flavor of the soup and adds an irresistibly tasty tang to every bite.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato puree
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional: Tortilla chips, fresh cilantro, chopped, sour cream, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, diced avocado
- Place onion and next 11 ingredients (through crushed red pepper) in a large slow cooker. Gently stir to mix. Nestle chicken breasts in soup mixture and cover. Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return chicken to slow cooker. Stir in lime juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese and avocado, if desired.