Need a weeknight meal that is hearty, filling and easy? Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup is the answer! It’s a family favorite made with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
Do you have the one meal that you can make your whole family happy? For us, it’s this Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup. Every single time I make it, I get a big thumbs-up when my family walks through the door. It’s even better that the only work required from me is to chop, dump and pour.
Thanks to my slow cooker, dinner is ready seven hours later.
My family is on to something here.
What’s in the Chicken Taco Soup recipe?
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup is like a big taco in a bowl. Every bite is filled with tomatoes, chicken, cheese, refried beans and corn. It’s seasoned with taco seasoning and a bottle of beer (Don’t worry, all of the alcohol cooks off as it simmers and just leaves the delicious hoppy flavor behind.), what’s not to love about that?
What kind of beer do I use in the Chicken Taco Soup recipe?
Feel free to use whatever beer you have in the fridge (that’s what I do) and if you want to omit it, just substitute some chicken broth.
How do I garnish the Chicken Taco Soup?
My kids’ favorite thing about this soup is they get to choose how they garnish it. We get out avocado, jalapenos, cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro and they go to town. And my favorite thing goes without saying: Easy to make and the whole family loves it.
Weeknight dinners don’t get much better than that.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried black beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- diced avocado (optional)
- Place the onion, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend.
- Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover and cook for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours.
- Garnish with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, cilantro and avocado, if desired.