These Pesto Yogurt Chicken Kebabs stay tender on the grill thanks to a leisurely marinade in protein-rich Greek yogurt and basil pesto.
I shivered just a bit when I turned the page on the calendar this month. Not because I was cold, mind you, but because I realized that my kids only have a handful of days of school remaining. Am I ready for them to be home?
It’s always an adjustment for both me and the kids to get used to our new routines. I need to balance my productivity with their fun camps/activities and a healthy dose of down time. (It IS summer, after all!) As I look at the calendar, I can already see that we have a few hectic weeks ahead of us. Those crazy nights are perfect for fast and easy meals like these Pesto Yogurt Chicken Kebabs.
June happens to be National Dairy Month, which couldn’t be a more fitting tie-in to this recipe. Kebabs can easily dry out on the grill as you wait for all of the pieces to cook through. Not in this recipe. Protein-rich Greek yogurt combines with fresh-from-the-garden basil pesto to create a super fast, savory marinade for the chicken. Pop this in the fridge in the morning, and you’ll have flavorful kebabs ready for the grill by dinner time. My family couldn’t believe how moist and tender the chicken becomes from the yogurt bath. Plus, it’s an easy way to sneak some extra dairy-rich nutrients (like calcium, vitamin D and potassium) into your diet. If you haven’t tried it before, it’s a must!
Looking for more ways to enjoy dairy in June? The American Dairy Association’s Facebook and Pinterest pages have loads of dairy-inspired ideas. Or check out these moo-volous recipes from our fellow dairy-lovin’ bloggers:
Greek Yogurt Pops by Dessert for Two
S’Mores Ice Cream Sandwich by Lemons for Lulu
Chocolate Peanut Butter Fruit Dip by The Lemon Bowl
Chorizo Croque Monsieur by Climbing Grier Mountain
Java Chip Milkshake by Inside BruCrew Life
Avocado Bean Dip by Shugary Sweets
Creamy Pea Salad by The Law Student’s Wife
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by the ADA Mideast, but you know we never say no to anything dairy. All opinions are our own.
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (10.5 oz) container cherry tomatoes
- Stir together the Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup basil pesto and garlic in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place chicken in the bowl and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 8-10 hours. (I did about 10 hours, and it was seriously moist chicken!)
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- When ready to assemble, place cherry tomatoes in a small bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons pesto and stir to coat. Alternate chicken and tomatoes on skewers. Sprinkle kebabs with salt and pepper. Lightly oil grill grates and grill for 3 minutes on one side, turn skewers and finish grilling for another 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- If you’re using wooden skewers like I did, make sure you soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before using them on the grill.
Serving Size:1 kabob
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 218mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Protein: 42g