The holidays are hectic. This Pan Seared Flank Steak with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce will make everyone think you slaved in the kitchen all day!
Is your Thanksgiving week as busy as mine? Between the kids’ schedules, errands to run and getting a head start on my Thanksgiving cooking, dinner is often an after thought. So I need easy meals that don’t take long to get on the table. And since we will be eating turkey quite a bit in the next week, I crave a good cut of beef. And this Pan Seared Flank Steak with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce doesn’t disappoint.
Now our love of Stubb’s BBQ Sauces and marinades is not a secret. We have shared a handful of recipes over the past year using their great products. And this Pan Seared Flank Steak with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce is no exception. I used the Stubb’s Beef Marinade to pack flavor in the meat and the sauce. The beef marinade is filled with soy sauce, garlic and red pepper and complements the mushrooms and red wine perfectly. And the fact that the marinade is gluten free and made with all natural ingredients is another bonus. I usually pop the meat in the marinade in the morning and then cook it at night, but I’ve even done made this meal with a quick 1 hour soak in the marinade and still had tasty results.
If you’re a pan sauce newbie, don’t worry – it’s easy peasy. When you pour the red wine in to deglaze the pan, be sure to scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. They add a ton of flavor that can’t be replicated. Then let it reduce and swirl some cold butter in at the end. Voila! Company worthy steak made on the stove. Who says great steak has to be made strictly on the grill?
This Pan Seared Flank Steak is a meal that looks like you slaved for hours but is done in 30 minutes. Shhhh…my family is going to think I have it together. You’ll keep my secret, right?
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1/2 cup Stubb's® Beef Marinade
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
Red Wine Mushroom Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Stubb's® Beef Marinade
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced baby 'bella mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot. finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
For the marinade:
- Combine Stubb's® Beef Marinade and soy sauce in a small bowl. Place flank steak in a large resealable plastic bag and pour marinade over meat. Seal and refrigerate for 30 minutes - 12 hours.
- Remove flank steak from refrigerator 45 minutes before cooking, if possible.
For the steak:
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat until hot. Remove flank steak from marinade, shaking excess marinade off. Place steak in pan and sear for 4 minutes a side for medium rare. Remove from pan and tent with foil while the sauce is being made.
For the pan sauce:
- Add red wine and beef broth to pan, scraping the bottom of the pan to get the browned bits released into the juices. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 2 minutes to slightly reduce sauce and add 1 tablespoon Stubb's® Beef Marinade, mushrooms, shallots and 1 tablespoon of thyme. Simmer for 7-8 minutes or until sauce is reduced.
- Add butter to sauce in the pan and stir to combine. Add remaining tablespoon of thyme. Remove from heat.
- Cut steak in thin slices across the grain and serve with sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 576Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 2426mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 41g