I initially made these No Bake Granola Bites for my daughter. Since she can’t eat a lot of commercially-produced granola products due to her peanut allergy, I wanted to create a kid-friendly snack with a good balance of protein, carbs and the perfect dose of chocolate for her never-ending sweet tooth. I even snuck in some ground flax seed to the ingredient list to amp up the nutritional value. I patted myself on the back thinking what a good mom I was for creating a special treat for my daughter. And then what happened?
I ate nearly all of them.
Yep, I did. Not all at once, but certainly over the next few days. (Wow, this is even more embarrassing in print than it was in my head.) I couldn’t help myself. I’d be rummaging through the fridge for something, and they were right there, so totally convenient to just pop in my mouth. I found myself craving their chewy goodness for breakfast, to quell mid-afternoon munchies, even as the perfect after dinner treat. After I demolished the last one, I hung my head in shame. What kind of parent makes food especially for her daughter and then eats it all?
All I can do is warn you: these No Bake Granola Bites are addictive. Proceed at your own risk.
No Bake Granola Bites
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Add almond butter, honey and coconut oil to a microwavable bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Stir to incorporate ingredients. Allow to cool slightly.
- Combine oats through salt together in a large bowl. Gently stir in almond butter mixture being careful not to crush the Rice Krispies. When thoroughly combined, place in refrigerator for 30-45 minutes or until chilled enough to handle.
- Roll oat mixture into approximately 20 small balls. Store in the refrigerator.