Self serve taco bars are an easy way to entertain a crowd. Add a meatless option to your taco spread with these Corn and Mushroom Tacos with Avocado Crema!
Who doesn’t love Taco Tuesday? Tacos are always crowd pleasers and taco bars are a convenient way to serve a large group of people. We’ll never turn down a good meat and cheese taco, but adding these hearty and flavorful Corn and Mushroom Tacos with Avocado Crema to our taco bar is a delicious way to add some veggies to the spread as well as please any non-meat eating guests.
A Mushroom Taco Recipe full of traditional taco flavors
You’ll find all the flavors of a regularly seasoned taco here – cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic and onion – with a few surprises. A mild heat comes from the poblano pepper and bit of hot sauce, while the fresh lime juice and cilantro keep the taste bright.
How to make Avocado Crema
I like to top these Corn and Mushroom Tacos with a dollop of cooling avocado crema, which is just a fancy way of whipping together some avocado, sour cream and lime juice, but feel free to keep your avocado and/or sour cream separate and garnish with whatever makes you happy.
Meatless Tacos for Meat Lovers
Try these Corn and Mushroom Tacos with Avocado Crema at your next Taco Tuesday. You’ll be surprised at how tasty they are, plus they are similar enough in flavor to classic tacos – sans meat – to give even “taco purists” reason to branch out and try something new.
Suggestions for equipment to make these Corn and Mushroom Tacos with Avocado Crema:
- I love using this tortilla warmer when we have a big taco buffet. It helps keep the tortillas warm and pliable whether you are the first or last guest through the buffet line.
- This is one of the few cutting boards I’ve used that doesn’t immediately dull my knives. Plus I love the back story of how they are made from recycled materials.
Corn and Mushroom Tacos with Avocado Crema
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or more, depending on your preference)
- Kosher salt
- 10 taco-sized corn or flour tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan. Stir in onions, oregano, garlic, chili powder, cumin and poblano pepper and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn and beans to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat and stir in salsa, 1 tablespoon lime juice and hot sauce. Season to taste with salt.
- Place avocado, sour cream and remaining lime juice in a blender and blend until smooth. If avocado cream is too thick, add additional lime juice to reach desired consistency. Season to taste with salt.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon mushroom mixture into tortillas, garnish with avocado cream and chopped cilantro. Serve.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 416kcal Calories from fat 164|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 18g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 14g||56%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|