Give this family-favorite meal a trip south of the border with this easy Mexican Lasagna recipe. No boiling noodles required!
Nothing beats a traditional Italian lasagna recipe. We know it, we crave it, we love it.
So think of this Mexican Lasagna recipe as a first cousin to your favorite lasagna - close enough to recognize but unique enough to stand on its own. It’s an unexpected twist on a comfort food classic.
This Mexican Lasagna is a fusion of two crowd-pleasers: the cheesy layered pasta dish we all adore and the crave-worthy flavors of Tex-Mex foods. The ample pan size makes it a great dish for crowds as well as a huge hit for Sunday supper (leftovers reheat well, by the way).
You may find Mexican Lasagna recipes out there that use tortillas, but my version uses pasta noodles like a true lasagna. You’ll still find the same addicting layers of pasta and cheese you know and expect in lasagna with a few minor changes:
- the marinara sauce has been replaced by salsa,
- the meat is cooked with taco seasoning,
- liberal amounts of black beans and corn are sprinkled throughout the casserole, and
- the mozzarella is bypassed in favor of creamy Kerrygold® Mild Cheddar Cheese Slices.
Really? You don’t cook the noodles in your Mexican Lasagna recipe before baking?
Yes, it’s true! You may be skeptical because you’ve been burned by a bad recipe with crunchy noodles in the past, but trust me on this one. The right ratio of liquids will ensure your lasagna is baked through.
Tip: When you make this Mexican Lasagna recipe, you’ll notice the dish appears a bit soupy when you pull off the foil after 45 minutes. Never fear; the liquid will continue to be absorbed into the pasta noodles during the remaining baking and cooling times.
I’ve never used the no-boil lasagna noodles because this recipe is so reliable (without the additional cost of oven-ready noodles).
Is there an advantage to using cheese slices instead of shredded cheese in this Mexican Lasagna?
Honestly, it’s all about convenience. The slices fit perfectly in the pan, and I don’t have to worry about evenly distributing shredded cheese throughout the layers. That said, you can still use shredded cheese if you prefer. Just make sure you’re using equivalent amounts.
Feed a hungry crowd (or just a ravenous family) with this easy and flavorful Mexican Lasagna recipe!
Love this Mexican Lasagna recipe? Check out some other crowd-pleasing Tex-Mex recipes!
Tex-Mex Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf with Smoky Chili Glaze - Valerie's Kitchen
Smoky Tex-Mex Sloppy Joses - Amanda's Cookin'
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Kerrygold®. We only share products with you that we personally use and love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Garnish with Lemon possible.
- 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 24 ounces salsa
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 18 slices Kerrygold® Mild Cheddar Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 13” pan. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, egg and cilantro until well combined. Set aside.
3. Brown meat in a large pan. Drain meat and prepare with taco seasoning according to package directions. Stir in salsa, water, beans and corn. Reserve one cup of meat sauce to top lasagna later.
4. Spread another cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the pan. Layer with 3 lasagna noodles. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles. Add 1/3 of meat sauce on top of ricotta. Layer 6 slices of cheese on top of meat sauce. Repeat layers with lasagna noodles, ricotta, meat and cheese two more times. Spread reserved cup of meat sauce on top of final cheese layer.
5. Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray, cover lasagna and bake for 45 minutes. It will appear soupy at this time. Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
6. Serve with sour cream, pico de gallo, green onions and/or sliced olives, if desired.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 632Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 1145mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 40g