I have a secret to share with you that will make you the star of the family: Baked Mexican Chocolate Donuts. Um, hello? Who wouldn’t have a smile on their face when they wake up to the smell of chocolate wafting through the house and then walk into the kitchen to see these chocolate donuts waiting for them? These have been on my bucket list to try for quite awhile, and I was inspired when Kristin at Dine and Dish made chocolate donuts, and they looked sooo good. So off to the store to buy the donut pan. I ended up getting two pans(of course!) – one mini donut pan and one large donut pan. Not expensive and not bulky, easy to fit in the kitchen – all important stuff when you don’t have oodles of storage space.
My first attempt was successful. In fact they were so good my husband didn’t even get one. They were gone before he made it in the room. But because I never leave well enough alone, I wanted to make these donuts with a Cinco de Mayo twist. Voila – the Mexican Chocolate Donut with a Chocolate Cinnamon Glaze. These donuts rock! With a little cinnamon and a pinch of heat from cayenne, you know this isn’t your average chocolate donut. But the best thing was my kids loved them, too. I wasn’t sure how they would feel about the bit of heat in the donut, but they ate every last one of them. And the chocolate glaze with a hint of cinnamon is the exclamation point on the chocolaty goodness. It’s a perfect way to start a weekend morning. My husband still hasn’t gotten one. Hmm, guess I better make another batch and give him first dibs.
Mexican Chocolate Donuts
A delicious baked Mexican chocolate donut with a chocolate cinnamon glaze.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 T unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 T milk
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325
For the donuts:
- Mix buttermilk, brown sugar and egg in the bowl of a stand mixer until throughly combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and butter and mix until incorporated. Add the cinnamon, cayenne pepper, flour, baking soda and salt and mix until just combine.
- Spoon mixture in greased doughnut pan and fill each well 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 325 for 12-14 min. Let set in pan for 1 min and then remove to a wire rack to cool.
For the glaze:
- In a medium saucepan mix the butter, chocolate chips and milk. Heat over med low heat until melted. Add cinnamon and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. Dip donuts into glaze and set on drying rack to set. Serve.
If you don't want the spice, you can easily omit the cinnamon and cayenne and substitute vanilla.