Summer sides are all about making use of the freshest produce available, and this Mango Jicama Slaw is a sweet and savory twist on your typical BBQ side dish.
I have nothing against regular cole slaw. In fact, it’s a must whenever we make pulled pork sandwiches. But sometimes you crave something a little more unique to bring to your next potluck or BBQ, and this Mango Jicama Slaw fits the “different but delicious” bill beautifully.
Mangoes are plentiful this time of year. Clearly they don’t grow as far north as we live, but they are abundant at the stores, and we love to enjoy fresh slices of cold mango as a quick cool down on a hot day. In this slaw, sweeter vegetables (think crunchy jicama, carrots and red bell pepper) are combined with juicy mango, tangy lime and fresh mint. The result? A refreshing salad that goes great with nearly anything off the grill but is especially tasty with Mexican and Asian flavored dishes.
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon champagne or fruit vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- Zest of one medium lime
- Combine mango, carrots, red pepper and jicama in a bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, lime juice, sugar and olive oil
- . Add dressing to the mango mixture.
- Sprinkle mint and lime zest on top and stir gently to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g