Since I live in the tundra (affectionately known as Minnesota), I really have no choice but to embrace winter. Well, I actually have three choices: move, stay inside 6 months a year or get out and make the most of it. I choose to make the most of it. And although I don’t ski (Kevin so wishes I did, but chairlifts scare the daylights out of me), I will go ice skating, snow shoeing, make snowmen and go sledding. And my reward to myself after a day in the cold is this delicious Kahlúa Bread Pudding. Rich layers of eggy bread soaked in a Kahlúa, milk and egg mixture, and then baked to plump perfection. How can you resisit that? Comfort food at its best. Pour a White Chocolate Kahlúa Sauce on top, and you have just taken bread pudding to a whole new level.
Bread Pudding is one of my favorite desserts and one I usually only make when it’s cold outside. Consider it one of the few redeeming values I can find about winter. After a day of snow and cold, I love to light a fire, grab a cup of coffee spiked with Kahlúa Hazelnut Liqueur, and sink into the couch with my Kahlúa Bread Pudding drizzled with White Chocolate Kahlúa Sauce. That, friends, is MY version of a winter wonderland.
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Challah bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup Kahlúa
White Chocolate Kahlúa Sauce:
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Kahlúa
To make bread pudding:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Cut bread into cubes and spread on baking sheet. Toast for 6-8 minutes to dry bread out.
- Pour cream, milk, eggs, brown sugar and Kahlúa into a large bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Add bread cubes and gently stir to combine. Let bread cubes sit in mixture for 15 minutes to soak in the moisture.
- Pour soaked bread cubes in greased baking dish and evenly distribute remaining liquid across the top.
- Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes or until set. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- To make the sauce:
- Heat the cream on the stove over low heat until simmering, but do not boil. Pour white chocolate chips in and stir until melted. Stir in Kahlúa. Drizzle over bread pudding.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291.9 Total Fat: 12.1g Carbohydrates: 18.53g Protein: 25.88g