This tangy Homemade Rhubarb BBQ Sauce puts a summery spin on a family favorite.
My mom was kind enough to host our family and Pat’s family for Father’s Day last month. There were 11 of us total, so not a huge group, but a wide variety of ages, including toddlers. Sometimes it’s hard to know what to serve a diverse group of people, especially when kids and adults are eating together since tastes of those two age groups usually differ vastly. I really loved what my mom came up with to deal with this dilemma, so much that I had to share it with you: the sauce bar. She grilled several pork tenderloins and placed the meat on the buffet with three different sauces, including this tasty Homemade Rhubarb BBQ Sauce.
I’m the first to admit that I usually buy my BBQ sauce because I have a favorite brand (Hello, Stubb’s!), but I loved the tanginess from the rhubarb in this sauce. Not to mention that it’s a breeze to throw together. Dump the ingredients in a pot, let it boil and puree it in a blender. Seriously straightforward and absolutely delicious with simply prepared grilled meats like the pork tenderloin. The other two sauces on the buffet were our Sweet & Tangy Tomato Jam and some store-bought mango chutney. I tried all three sauces – research, people! – and loved the variety it lent my meal.
Judging by the clean plates at the end of the evening, the rest of the crew agreed with me.
- 6 stalks fresh rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- 12 ounces Dr. Pepper
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer until rhubarb and onion pieces are very soft, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour half of sauce in blender and puree until smooth. Repeat with remaining sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 177mg Carbohydrates: 41g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 33g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g