My little brother is passing through town this week. He’s in the Army, and I’m so proud of him for his service to our country: three tours in Iraq, one tour in Afghanistan, and now he’s on to a year in South Korea. While his sacrifices can never be repaid, I can certainly send him off to his next assignment with a memorable meal. The perfect dish to serve this war veteran from Nebraska?
Tenderloin, my friends!
As an homage to his new place of residence, I chose to add a ginger-hoisin glaze to the beef. I know what you’re thinking: it’s tenderloin, why mess with a good thing? Normally I would agree with you, but the fusion of sweet heat from the chile sauce and the spice of the ginger makes a lip-smacking combination. (Go big or go home, right?) We rounded out the meal with some roasted fingerling potatoes, sautéed mushrooms and a charming fall salad, which I’ll share with you soon.
It’s not likely we’ll be able to visit my brother when he’s in South Korea, although my TaeKwonDo-loving son is religiously saving his pennies to contribute to our travel fund. In the meantime, I requested that my brother learn all he can about Korean cooking so when he’s back stateside, he can make authentic Korean Barbecue for ME!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fresh chili paste, such as Sambal Oelek
- 4 (6-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Stir together hoisin sauce, ginger, honey, soy sauce and chili paste in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lightly spray tenderloin steaks with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place each steak on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip steaks over and baste with half of the sauce. Grill for another 3-4 minutes. Flip again and brush with the remaining sauce. Cook to desired degree of doneness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g