Green beans are rarely met with grand applause at my house (more like groans of disappointment), so I'm always game to try something new to entice my crew. This recipe is such an easy way to jazz up your average vegetable. I mean, really, what doesn't taste good with bacon?
I love that a few simple ingredients can elevate even the lowly green bean to greatness. Only good things can happen when you combine salty bacon, crunchy walnuts and sweet and spicy shallots. Add a bite of freshness from chopped parsley, and you'd think these beans should be served for more than your average Tuesday dinner. But that's the fun part. Simply grill some chicken or beef, and let the beans be the star of the meal. How often do green beans steal the show? Not often, at least not at my house. Take advantage of it while you can!
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3/4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Put beans in pot and blanch for 3 minutes. Drain and plunge beans in ice water bath. Drain again.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and place in a large serving bowl being careful to leave drippings in pan. Add shallots to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Add shallots to the serving bowl along with oil, vinegar and salt. Place beans in the same skillet and warm for 2-3 minutes. Place warmed beans in the bowl and gently stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and parsley before serving.
The original recipe calls for haricot vert, which are thin French green beans. I had no problem subbing in regular beans, but choose thinner ones, if possible. If you can't find thinner beans, blanch them for an extra minute or two to reach your desired tenderness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g