Bursting with cranberries and finished with an orange glaze, these Glazed Cranberry Orange Muffins are the perfect sweet to add to your holiday brunches.
Breakfast seems to get forgotten around the holidays with all of the focus being on the main meal. But when dinner isn’t until 4:00 and you have a house full of guests, forgetting about breakfast just isn’t going to work. That’s why I bake these Cranberry Orange Muffins ahead of time and pop them in the freezer. Glaze them when they thaw, and you have a sweet treat that is full of holiday flavors.
Cranberries are one of my favorite fruits for baked goods; they are not too sweet and add a great pop of color to the table. Plus when you drizzle some orange glaze on top, you pretty much have a match made in heaven.
Plus you won’t believe how easy these Glazed Cranberry Orange Muffins are to make. They only use one bowl and can easily be done the morning of brunch. Now the method for measuring the liquids in this muffin recipe is a little different, so be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before you start. This measuring cup guarantees me perfect muffins every time. And don’t worry if you’re a planner because they freeze beautifully. Just wait to drizzle with glaze until you serve them. Add some easy Cheesy, Ham and Spinach Egg Cups and breakfast is served.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk milk
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
To make the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with muffin liners. Set aside.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Place canola oil into a 1 cup liquid measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill to the one cup line. Add to flour mixture and stir to combine. Fold in cranberries and orange zest.
- Fill muffin cups right to the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
To make the glaze:
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth and drizzle over muffins. Serve immediately.
These muffins freeze well unglazed. Wait to add the glaze after they are completely defrosted.