Winner,Winner, Easy Weeknight Dinner! Easy Baked Chicken Chimichangas take the guesswork out of dinner and put a smile on everyone’s face all at the same time!
Menu planning. Do you do it? I don’t as much as I should. Kevin calls most days and asks “What’s the plan for tonight?” which is code for What’s for dinner? And it’s the first question my kids ask when they walk in the door. I’m thinking this is when a menu board would come in handy. Needless to say, it’s not often I can get the whole family excited about the same meal on the same day. But every time I serve these Easy Baked Chicken Chimichangas, that’s exactly what happens.
Mexican food is a go-to favorite in our house, especially when I get to sip on one of these during dinner. These Easy Baked Chicken Chimichangas are my new bestie in the dinner rotation, and, unlike traditional chimichangas, they are baked, not fried, saving on the calories and the mess. I know I’m not alone in the dislike of cleaning the stovetop after frying food!
And to make mealtime even easier, I used some chopped rotisserie chicken to make the filling. Combine the juicy chicken with some salsa verde, cumin, cilantro and a generous sprinkle of cheese and roll it in the tortilla to get one of our family’s favorite meals. Serve it with some pico de gallo, sour cream and fresh avocado and dinner is done! Knowing that I’m not spending a lot of time cooking chicken and scrubbing my stove means I might even have time to bake a special snack. A definite win for everyone in the family.
With our busy activity schedule, my attitude towards menu planning definitely needs to change. Fortunately, we’ve got a whole Pinterest board dedicated to Easy Weeknight Meals to help with variety. But since I need all the help I can get, tell me: What are your favorite menu planning tips?
- 16 ounces Green Chile Salsa (Salsa Verde)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, cubed
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese (I used Mexican Blend)
- 6 Flour Tortillas (8-10 inch)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine salsa and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add cumin and cilantro and stir until mixed. Gently stir in chicken and remove from heat.
- Set out 6 tortillas and put 1/2 cup filling in the middle of each. Divide cheese equally between tortillas. Fold tortilla up by first folding each side in and then roll in thirds. Place seam side down on baking sheet and brush tops with melted butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned.
- Serve with pico de gallo, sour cream, and guacamole if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 844mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 33g