Apple season means apple everything, including these Double Apple Bran Muffins.
I wasn't exaggerating when I said we had some tasty apple treats coming your way this fall. These Double Apple Bran Muffins are the next item on your must-make-right-now list.
Because really, how can you go wrong with muffins? Especially when they are filled with apples, applesauce and the nutty texture of oat bran. Sprinkle some raw sugar on top, and you get crunchy, apple deliciousness in every bite.
Double Apple Bran muffins are a snap to make and can be on the table in only 45 minutes, and that includes cooling time. Or make them ahead of time and pop ‘em the in the freezer. Super easy to pull out for breakfast to start your day off right. And an added bonus? You look like a rockstar mom serving up homemade muffins on a school day.
These Double Apple Bran Muffins are the perfect way to celebrate apple season. Truth be told, it's ALWAYS apple season in my house. We love all the apples. All the time.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 11/2 cups oat bran
- 11/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease 12 large muffins cups and set aside.
- Combine the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium high until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and mix until thoroughly combined. Add egg white and beat until well blended.
- Add milk, applesauce, molasses and vanilla and carefully mix until combined.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oat bran, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and add the wet mixture. Add chopped apples. Stir with a wooden spoon until just mixed. Do not overmix.
- Using a muffin scoop, drop by scoopful into prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until done. (Muffins will spring back lightly when touched)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 409mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 6g