Bring on the cooler weather if that means we can slurp up bowls of this aromatic Curried Coconut Chicken Soup!
You know what I’m talking about, right? You’re out running errands, you walk by a restaurant, and the aroma of savory food hits you smack in the face. All you can think about is Eating. Now. The combination of curry paste, coconut milk, fresh ginger and chile garlic sauce in this soup never fails to induce a mouth watering reaction and is a delicious way to welcome the cooler evenings of fall.
My kids were big fans of the “slurp factor” of this meal as you need to ladle the soup over the noodles in the bowl. When else is slurping at the dinner table allowed? I loved the crunch from the fresh carrots and cabbage on top along with the fragrant fresh cilantro and basil. Since my daughter has a peanut allergy, we don’t have any peanuts in the house, but I think some chopped peanuts on top would add a delicious salty bite to each spoonful.
I know I’ve been harping on the intoxicating aroma of this soup, but the next time I’m sick, someone needs to make this Curried Coconut Chicken Soup for me ASAP. The smell is sure to cure whatever ails you. Or at least make your belly happy until those meds kick in.
- 1 can regular coconut milk
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup red curry paste
- 1 package (8 ounces) skinny rice noodles
- 2 cans chicken broth (29 ounces total)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (or more, if you prefer)
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Fresh chopped basil and cilantro
- Pour coconut milk into a large pot and bring to a boil. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 3 cups. Stir in curry paste and whisk to dissolve.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add chicken broth, brown sugar, fish sauce, salt, garlic powder, ginger and chili garlic sauce to coconut milk mixture; stir. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken and heat through.
- Evenly divide noodles among 6 large bowls. Ladle soup over noodles in bowls. Top soup with carrots, cabbage, cilantro and basil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 1808mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 35g
Any other curry lovers out there? Check out some of these other recipes flavored with curry: