This Crostini with Savory Tomato, Bacon & Apple Jam is one of those recipes that I tore out of a magazine several years ago and always vowed to make one day. (I’d wager that you probably have a similar stack of “must try someday” recipes lying around your house, too.) I try to pare down the pile a few times a year before it gets completely out of hand, but this recipe has made the cut every single time I “declutter” my kitchen. I just need to take that as a sign, right? MAKE THE CROSTINI!
So that’s what I did. And now I’m kicking myself for not making it sooner.
These are fabulous fall flavors, folks. The tart apples, smoky bacon, savory onion and juicy tomatoes all mellow out together with some sugar and vinegar to make a tangy topping for toasted crostini. Add a bit of salty feta and a sprinkle of fresh cut chives, and you have an appetizer that is not only pretty to look at but pretty hard to stop eating, too!
There is a running joke in our family about how I rarely make the same thing twice. Mostly because I have a stack of yet untested recipes always at the ready. These Crostini with Savory Tomato, Bacon & Apple Jam? They may have been a long time coming, but they are definitely here to stay.
Crostini with Savory Tomato, Bacon & Apple Jam
- 1/2 pound applewood smoked bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled into pieces
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tart cooking apple (such as Granny Smith), cored, peeled and diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 French baguette, cut into thin slices and toasted (around 30 pieces)
- 4-6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Chopped fresh chives
- Place the bacon, tomatoes, sugar, apple, onion, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil using medium heat and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring often. The jam will be done when the apples are soft and the majority of the liquid has been reduced. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Place toasted bread slices on a serving tray. Evenly divide jam, feta cheese and chives among crostini. Serve immediately.