As we were looking through our recipe index, we realized we didn’t have many cookie recipes here on Garnish with Lemon. What? That oversight needed to be remedied ASAP. I have to admit, I’m kind of a cookie snob. I will eat cookies right when they come out of the oven, but after they cool, I can take ’em or leave ’em. Kinda weird, huh? But these Chewy Oatmeal M&M Cookies throw that theory out the window. I’ll eat these cookies for days – if they last that long.
I like my cookies soft and chewy on the inside and crisp around the edges, and I don’t get that with most cookie recipes. But this Chewy Oatmeal M&M Cookies recipe is a little different. These cookies keep that same texture even a day later, which is a huge win for me. The keys to making these cookies chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside are baking them at a lower temperature and then letting them hang out on the cookie sheet for a few minutes after I take them out of the oven.
I browned the butter for these cookies, which is fabulous in a couple of ways. First and foremost, I don’t need to plan ahead and soften the butter. It also adds a great flavor to them. Word to the wise: make sure you let the brown butter cool before you mix it with the sugars. I
may have tried did that without success. Please learn from my mistakes, otherwise the 4 dozen cookies I ate on my own would be for nothing. 🙂
I used Peanut Butter M&M’s because they are pretty much one of my favorites things to eat. And, in the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I used the holiday ones to make them extra cute. But, believe me, they taste even better. No worries if peanut butter isn’t your thing (though I’m not sure we can be friends). Feel free to add plain M&Ms or chocolate chips, instead. They are tasty no matter what. And definitely worth the time spent in the kitchen.
Any other recipes you want to see? Let us know in the comments below. We would love your input!
- 2 sticks butter, browned and cooled (See note below)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 1/2- 2 cups M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the brown butter and the sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on high for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and egg yolk, one at a time and mix thoroughly after each addition. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Remove bowl from stand mixer and add the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Add M&Ms and stir. Be careful to not over mix or the cookies will become tough.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. These cookies bake best when you bake one sheet at a time. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until cookies are set but not baked all the way. Remove from oven and let sit on pan for 5 minutes to continue cooking. Remove to cooling rack.
- Note: To brown the butter, place 2 sticks of butter in small pan. Melt over medium heat and lower heat to simmer. Simmer over low heat until butter browns. There will be specks of brown on the bottom of the pan and butter will turn caramel color. Remove from heat. Be careful not to burn, once the butter starts browning, it is done quickly.