If my kids had their choice, they would always pick granola bars for an after school snack. They are, hands down, the favorite snack in the house. And really, what’s not to love about them? They pack easily, there are so many different flavors to choose from, and they fill you up. But we can go through a box of granola bars like nobody’s business, and I am frankly not a huge fan of the ingredients. They are often too sweet and filled with additives. I knew there was a better option out there, so I decided to make some at home. And I am glad I did…homemade granola bars are the bomb! They are chewy, filled with peanut butter and chocolate, (which my kids love) but missing all of the additives and preservatives (which I love).
This recipe is for peanut butter chocolate chip, but I have also played around with cookie butter and almond butter. All great options and combinations. Trust me, the coconut oil is worth the investment. A little goes a long way, and it gives the granola bar a great texture. Best of all, they are ready in 40 minutes. No baking required. I wish I could tell you how long they would keep and still taste fresh, but we have yet to have any left after 3 days. As quickly as I make them, they disappear. That, my friends, is the best endorsement around.
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 T coconut oil
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups oats
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup mini m & ms
- Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper.
- Take one cup of the oats and pulse in the food processor until finely ground. Place in a large bowl and add the remaining 2 cups of oats.
- In a medium pan over medium heat mix peanut butter, coconut oil, butter, salt, honey and brown sugar until melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat and pour over oats and mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and m & ms and stir until mixed.
- Press firmly into 8 x 8 pan.
- Chill for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and cut into bars. Store at room temperature or in refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1350.17 Total Fat: 68.22g Carbohydrates: 162.55g Protein: 30.24g